is this flowable silicone?

It says the same stuff that flow-able sayshttp://img818.imageshack.us/img818, but is it the same.

Can you describe it more?

My bad, I meant to post a picture but I guess the link doesn’t work. Just google premium waterproof silicone by ge to see what I am talking about.

Normally flowable silicone says flowable silicone on the package.

1 Like

It said 100 percent silicone but not flowable silicone, does this mean anything.

No, it’s not flowable but it will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXn6mklIhv4&feature=related
This one shows you how to silicone a yoyo with the non-flowable stuff.

thanks for the video, and will the play differ from flowable?

Some poeple say yes, some people say no. Some people prefer the gasket-type stuff, some people  prefer flowable. I’ve tried both, because I’ve gotten some yoyos off BST where the previous owner used the red stuff. On ones where they used the flowable, I like it better. It seems a bit softer and a bit “stickier” and it seems to do a nicer bind in my opinion. Still, it’s about preference. Both will work and both will work great. The thing is, with flowable, it’s also a bit easier because since it’s flowable, it will self-level so you DO need to work on a level surface. Either way, it’s best to leave them a full 24 hours to fully cure. If the package gives a different number, you can go with that, but longer is always better than shorter. Use another yoyo while you wait.

Does it have to be red, because mine is clear.

No, it comes in different colours, but some people say that red plays the best.

I find no variation.

I find a ton of variation. the skill of player will be able to tell you what they like and dislike about each type of silicone. for instance flowable grabs the string way better than regular silicone. I prefer regular silicone better though because it gives me that slip right before the silicone grabs the string.

I’ve never done it this way, but it seems like 1. you’d be wasting a lot of silicone, 2. it’s more prone to air pockets, and 3. you should let it set longer.

I find this video a bit better.

and how I do it:

1. remove old response
  2. clean the silicone recess well. toothpicks, q tips, rubbing alcohol
  3. apply new silicone as shown in the video (optional step after this is to run a toothpick around the silicone to make sure there are no air pockets.)
  4. remove excess with a spoon (as shown in the video again)
  5. wait about 4 hours for it to dry some before cleaning. this way the stuff outside of the recess can just be easily rubbed off because it will be dry, and you won’t mess up what’s already in the recess.
  6. wait 24 hours for the silicone to fully set.
  7. put your yoyo back together and play

and as far as difference in play, I’d just be reiterating what icthus said.

oh, and difference in colour is pretty much negligible. when you go to a store (I buy mine at 99 cent store) they have like clear, blue, black, grey, and red usually. the first 4 are all the same, and the red is a high temp silicone. meaning it can withstand slightly higher temperatures. but unless you’re yoyoing in a volcano, I don’t think this will make a difference. it’s like… 650-750 degrees as opposed to 500-600. I don’t think those numbers are right, but it’s something like that.

You waste the same amount. It’s like taking the part you take off in vid 2 and smearing it all over the face of the yoyo.