Is the forum dying?

s-l300

7 Likes

Good Lord I hope he doesnā€™t wear those shoesā€¦

5 Likes

080169_01

Mork and Mindy ring any bells?

3 Likes

(camera cuts to an image of Chris sitting at a table, furiously writing a 'zine. Camera sloooowly pans backward as he pauses for a moment ā€¦ and intentionally puts one foot up on the tableā€¦ revealingā€¦ CYBER SHOES. Chris turns to camera, nods knowingly. Fade to black.)

6 Likes

(camera then cuts to Jeff, sitting in his home office tinkering with a 20ehTeen. The camera slowly pans back as he tosses his two dimes across the desk and rubbs his tired face. Camera still panning back, he leans back in his office chair and props both feet up on the deskā€¦ also revealingā€¦ THE SAME CYBER SHOES. Jeff looks straight into the camera, nods knowingly. Fade to black)

8 Likes

Yā€™all are wild :joy:

3 Likes

(Chad is working in the office. He slowly puts his feet on to his desk, because he wants to show off his fresh new cyber shoes. Chad slowly starts smiling. Fade to black.)

3 Likes

*Knockoff TiWalker. :wink:

2 Likes

I think it is fair to say that forums on the whole just arenā€™t as popular as they once were especially when I think back to the early to mid 2000s. I still dig them though.

2 Likes

Yea, kind of. But then again, a lot less people used the internet, and forums were one of the only platforms so almost everyone used them. Forums are still the main hub for hobbies, though I guess Instagram and Reddit have been eating into that a little bit.

In general forums are my favorite internet platform. People with a common interest form really cool communities where you get to know people on a personal level not really achieved on other platforms. Discussions are usually more personal rather than just trying to one-up someone else or troll for the lols (like Reddit can be a lot of the time).

That said, I think this forum is active enough. I donā€™t know how it used to be since im still new here, but ive never got the vibe that this place was dying (ive witnessed forum death numerous times already). Seems like a nice sized community atm - I hate when they are too active or too empty. People always leave forums unexpectedly; I think it usually coincides with changes irl that give them less free time. Sometimes they even come crawling back - online habits become ingrained pretty heavily.

1 Like

The forum definitely had a mini revival last year but itā€™s still a shadow of what it was in 2013-2015.

3 Likes

Maybe forums are off-putting to a lot of netizens nowadays because they encourage people to regularly say something of substance, something that wouldnā€™t fit within the confines of a tweet. While being thoughtful, coherent, and comprehensible isnā€™t absolutely required, there is a sort of peer pressure to write that way in a forum because that is usually the norm.

I like/prefer forums precisely because of this, and because the content sticks around and is easily followed if you come along later.

3 Likes

Is it really though?

Specs TiHawk TiWalker
Diameter 54mm 52.8mm
Width 41mm 42mm
Weight 65.6 g 63.9 g

The profiles are kiiiiiind of similar, but they are different enough to be unique imo. The TiWalker is definitely more angular. I couldnā€™t find a straight gap shot of the TiHawk, but it is just a titanium rendition of a hawk afaik.

download%20(1)

4 Likes

Yeah, the TiWalker is a little less round, and its wing-like rims are beefier.

1 Like

IG and YouTube(well, social media in general) are definitely drinking from the yoyo community milkshake. It makes sense, since those are the best way to show tricks and the latest throws. I prefer written reviews over video, but video get ad revenue and everyone wants to be a star and get that sweet money. If youā€™re worried about the forums, post more with good content. BST posts are most of the new content, which Iā€™m sure doesnā€™t help. More and better content will definitely go a long way to keeping the community alive.

2 Likes

YouTube is a good place to watch reviews. FaceBook seems to have a highly active BST. But for online discussion, I donā€™t think you can beat a forum like YYE.

2 Likes

Well having done several $200+ 3D scans and digital caliper measurement (multiple times) I can tell you those ā€œpublishedā€ stats for the Ti-Walker, for whatever reason, areā€¦ coughā€¦ wrong? Specificially diameter is more like 53.5mm. Iā€™m kind of unclear how this happened but my data, like Shakiraā€™s hips, donā€™t lie.

The hawk isnā€™t exactly the same by any means but it is definitely in the ballpark for ti-walker ā€œfeelā€.

8 Likes

Maybe the published diameter is what youā€™d end up with if you spark off the entire rims. Very future-thinking.

2 Likes

It is a mystery, because unless the ti-walkers were somehow different diameters in the same run (and there was only one run!)ā€¦ or people had super bad measuring toolsā€¦ I just donā€™t know how that diameter number could be off by a whole mm, but it is.

3 Likes

Mmmmmmmmmkay. Iā€™ll eat that one. I still think theyā€™re different enough to be unique though. Of course, I have never even touched either one of these, on looks alone I wouldnā€™t say it was a blatant rip-off.

1 Like