Is it possible to tune a B-grade to an A grade?

I saw a Brandon Vu video a few years back where he received a b-grade vibey draupnir and was able to tune it to an A-grade. How often can a b-grade be tuned into an A-grade with minimal vibe? If this is the case most of the time, the idk why I’m spending money buying smooth A-grade yoyos when I can just buy a vibey b-grade and tune it to match the performance of that of an A-grade.

5 Likes

Ive had yos where changing a bearing or flipping an axle can make a huge difference. Its probably due to a bad bearing or not straight axle. Ive had throws where if I give it an extra tight turn when putting them together it makes a world of difference.
I think the idea that a yoyo can be tuned outside of those things is a fallacy.
Id imagine that in the case of that Draupnir, the guy at yyr didnt have time to do those things and the yo wasnt really flawed to begin with.

9 Likes

if it is a bgrade where the vibe is due to a machining flaw (bearing seat/post) or damage during manufacturing, you’re not going to fully ‘tune out‘ anything. it’s a bgrade comparatively for a reason… this is the result of tighter tolerances and procedures.

conversely, can you ‘tune’ older throws, throws w/out as tight of tolerances and/or processes, maybe a bgrade, etc. to some extent, yes… maybe not glass smooth. but, certainly tolerable… to some.

the real question is, what intolerances can you tolerate?

4 Likes

Jmtc.
Nowadays most “b” grades are usually for finish not performance. Using that standard then the answer is mostly yes. I’m hard pressed to even think of a brand that has sold actual b grade product recently, most guys won’t put out a really bad product knowingly. Lastly some designs just suck and there’s no getting away from poor design.

4 Likes

If it was an easy fix the companies would do it rather than dump the yoyo at a big discount. Most of my B grades are cosmetic. You never see the flaw as long as the yoyo is spinning. :slight_smile:

4 Likes