Is it normal for a responsive yoyo to not respond right after you tug it?

is it normal for a responsive yoyo to not respond right after you tug it?

2 Likes

This isn’t an easy question to give a straightforward answer to.

It’s normal for responsive yoyos not to return when you tug them. Many require maintenence to be reliably responsive (using thick lube on the bearing).

Having said that, responsives should return when you tug them, the design of many aren’t always the best for this to happen.

4 Likes

What is the yoyo in question?

3 Likes

oh what yoyos do you recommend?

Some yoyos are designed that way and are referred to as “semi-responsive” (the One Drop Deep State comes immediately to mind). Other yoyos, like fixed-axle yoyos (not wood fixies) will often be reluctant to return on a tug if the string torsion is very loose (like Duncans right out of the packaging). But in general, most modern responsive yoyos will return with just a tug right out of the box.

1 Like

especially in the case of semi responsives, you may need to tug harder or add a touch of lube to get better response on a smaller tug. typically responsives are snappier with narrower gaps, smaller diameter bearings, and bigger response areas too, but most often you need to lube the bearing. same goes for plastic transaxles. it will reduce spin time, but it will be smooth quiet and snappy response with a light tug.

Edit: a great choice for a snappy responsive yoyo that spins a really long time but may not ever need more than a drop of thin lube is the Yoyoexpert Snapback . its low price but the performance is amazing. or if you are looking for real fancy amazing stuff, try the RBC.

2 Likes

I know its my own yoyo (and MK1’s) but I do recommend the RBC. It’s nice and responsive right out of the box. If not, one drop of thick lube will last a very long time.

I also really like the Yoyofactory SpinStar. It’s super responsive with no maintenence needed. It does have an extremely narrow gap, though.

A good wooden fixed axle yoyo will respond well too. Mine respond well, and so do WildWood yoyos.

5 Likes