Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Hot dogs are indeed sandwiches under certain occasions

1 Like

You kids are playing fast and loose with your sandwiches. If you offered anyone a “hot dog sandwich” in real life I bet they would offer you a confused look.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but they’d probably still eat it. It’s what’s on the inside that matters.

No, but a yoyo is a sandwich. Anything between two pieces of the same thing can be said to be sandwiched. A yoyo is a bearing and string sandwich

3 Likes

@Oldthrower3000 So, you’re saying that a Subway sandwich is technically not a sandwich?

Technically no, since it’s not a filling between two pieces of the same thing, unless the bread is cut all the way through, which they never do. Technically it’s more of a wrap, like a hot dog. However, when you say “Subway” people automatically think “sandwich”, so in popular practice, it’s a sandwich since that’s the perception. When you say “hot dog” the word “sandwich” doesn’t come to mind.

Edit: I’m showing my age here, but in the early days of Subway, instead of cutting the bread from the side, the used to just cut a wedge out of top and cram the fillings in there, so it was actually more of a bread bowl.

2 Likes

Interesting :thinking:

I would sooner say that a hotdog is a Subway sandwich than I would say it is a sandwich

2 Likes

YES! It is!

A hot dog is not actually considered a sandwich. A hamburger is not considered a sandwich. Hot dogs and hamburgers are served on buns. Sandwiches are served on bread. Bagels can also have meat/etc. in them. But you never ask anybody for a bagel sandwich.

The description, ‘sandwich’ evolved from the distant past; from a gambler they called the Earl of Sandwich. He was from a Noble family but would go to the shakey side of town; to gamble with the lower level folks. The people back then used to eat meat with their hands. The Earl would ask the bar keep to bring his meat between two pieces of bread; so it didn’t slop up his hands. As the idea caught on; for lack of a better name; they just started calling meat between bread a sandwich.

Subway played loosely with the definition of ‘sandwich’ in the making of their Company name. The fact that the name of a fast food Business is described as selling Subway sandwiches; has little substance to validate the technically aspects suitable for drawing substantially accurate conclusions.

I honestly feel(personally) the word sandwich is so generic in recent years; that just about anything between two pieces of ‘bread’ can be considered a sandwich. It doesn’t have to follow the original idea that a sandwich has meat in the middle🤔. I still like peanut butter and jam sandwiches. And you can easily recognize the word meat was not used in the sentence previous to this one.

Subway, Quiznos, Togo’s, Arby’s, 50+ places I’m not mentioning and 40,000 Deli’s all over the Country; all make forms of sandwiches.

But hot dogs and hamburgers are not sandwiches.

3 Likes