Interest in a YoYo-themed work of fiction?

So I realize that currently there’s one of the usual debates going on in another feed about John Higby and the book he’s been putting together. Let me just start by saying that I honestly have no real opinion on that matter as it seems I likely don’t know all of the information at hand. Additionally, as I create this thread I want to be clear that I have no intention of copying or replacing what John Higby is doing with his book project. Please, read on.

I am a writer who has published three works of fiction through independent presses. I have also contributed to literary publications, music review sites, book review sites, satirical blogs and more. I also hold a degree in journalism and communications, yada yada yada. I’m writing to see if there would be any interest in the yoyo community for a fictional representation of yoyoing. It wouldn’t be fantastical or unbelievable, but rather realistic and (hopefully) interesting.

I wouldn’t be asking for any Kickstarter support or anything of that nature (not at all a slight on those who do, it just simply wouldn’t be necessary in this case) and subsequently, while I wouldn’t promise a timetable, I assure you that I work hard and with great attention to what I’m doing when it comes to writing. Ideally I would self-publish this book and I would do my absolute best to price it fairly.

So yeah, if you all could let me know what you think of this idea (me writing a novel or perhaps a collection of shorts based on modern day yoyo), that would be great. I would love to write a book like this but it is most certainly a lot of work so I’m really just trying to gauge if there would be any interest from all of you.

Thank you!

9 Likes

This sounds cool. :+1:

3 Likes

I think it would do great! Lots of the community are parents trying to get their kid into the hobby they love and a book or short story they can read together could make it happen!

3 Likes

I’ve been sitting on an idea for a yoyo centric work of fiction for a couple of years now. I have a rough outline completed, but I just never get around to fleshing it out.

I 've also had the idea to do a yoyo centric microfiction contest for forum members with some prizes for the winners.

7 Likes

Thanks! This wouldn’t be a kids book, I should state that now, but I would aim to make it a book that isn’t going to entirely exclude younger readers. So no swearing, violence, or other adult themed content. But yeah, it would certainly be great if it could appeal to those who don’t throw already as well as those who do.

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been thinking this over for awhile too. I feel like now is the time to get some idea of whether or not there would be interest in a book like this, and then hopefully get into the writing process soon. I really like your idea for a micro fiction contest as well, that could definitely be fun and engaging for the whole community.

4 Likes

Thank you!!

3 Likes

I’d love to see more yoyo themed media. I think other general media outlets (like books) are one of the best ways to spread a hobby or interest you care about to a wider audience.

I know in skateboarding a common issue has been that skateboarding is such a visual medium with lots of motion. Even with graphic novels and illustrations, it’s hard to show the nuance and beauty of skateboarding with only text and still images. So this prevents a lot of people from even wanting to attempt to write stories about it.

I understand that mindset, but don’t fully agree with it. Yoyoing has so much more to offer than just visual representations of tricks. I feel like there’s countless good stories you could tell using yoyos as a central theme.

8 Likes

I completely agree.

2 Likes

Sounds Cool.

I would hope the protagonist has several ups and downs and maybe gets into a few knots…

Have Fun.

2 Likes

Great idea, sounds like a refreshing medium to consume yoyo. Can you tell us more about your other works?

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking as I read the OP and responses. I doubt you’d write paragraph after paragraph describing the character doing tricks. Your book sounds like an interesting idea. See where it goes!

1 Like

My other books are a mix of things including collections of short fiction, an experimental novel and a more standard-ish novel. They are not at all the type of writing I would be doing if I carried out this project, for many reasons including content that would definitely not be suitable for younger readers. I love these works and they are a bit of an acquired taste. Writing is writing, however.

1 Like

I agree. Thank you for the encouragement!