Info Needed on Divisions

What is the difference between Sport Freestyle and 1A Pro?

Make the difficult look easy and the simple look stunning.

Sport Freestyle is a shorter freestyle, simplified scoring criteria, and an overall lower skill level of participant.

Ok, so for someone that has a freestyle but has never competed before, would it be recommended that they compete in the sport freestyle instead of the pro?

I’ve never competed in Sport division, but I see it as a way for someone to compete for experience on stage. If you don’t think your tricks are good enough to go up against the people in the Pro division, I recommend competing in the Sport division.

There are usually no cash prizes, but there may be a medal or a trophy of some sort. You can not get seeded to a contest from the Sport Division either. I always compete in the Pro division, because the Sport is not as rewarding. I really like the available seeds.

Yes.

Cool. Thanks for the info but here is my dilemma, I really like the idea of having a chance of winning by competing in the sport division. On the other hand I very much want to see how I did in the regular scoring method so I can know how to best improve my routines. Is the modified scoring method that is used in the sport division close enough to the “real” scoring used in the pro, for me to be able to learn where my strengths and weaknesses lie, so that I may successfully be able to grow into the pro level? Put another way, I have no problem losing miserably and would consider it an investment if it means a truer evaluation from which to grow. I have a true hunger for the knowledge of how my skills measure up in the grand scheme of things, more so than a hunger for a win the first time out. Any thoughts?

From what I’ve seen, Sport scoring is the same as pro scoring other than the fact that in Pro, categories are separated more into different things like Space Use, Body Control, etc. whereas in Sport, those would all go under Performance Evaluation where you are given a score overall. If this is the case, I may be wrong (please, somebody correct me if I am), then you should still be able to figure out what you need to improve on.
The best way to figure out is to do your freestyle perfectly and see where you’re lacking. If you don’t do well with your freestyle, the stuff you missed wouldn’t be accurate other than the fact that you need to practice your tricks. If you hit them, then you can see if they are low or high-scoring tricks. If you miss them, you’ll get a low score, but it might not necessarily be your tricks.

Good luck

The scoring difference is all in the evaluation categories…in a Sport Freestyle they will use the same scoring breakdown as Prelims (2 Tech Eval, 2 Perf Eval), whereas in a Pro Freestyle the evaluation scores are more finely tuned (4 Tech Eval, 4 Perf Eval). So for a Pro Freestyle you will get more data. (Find more details here: Freestyle Rule – IYYF.ORG).

Now, that said, a huge chunk of competing is confidence and experience on stage. Getting on stage and trying to compete way beyond your skill level isn’t going to help you because there isn’t much confidence building to be hand by getting your butt handed to you by players that are years past you. Losing to them isn’t telling you anything because you already know they are better. You need to start off competing against your “skill peers” because in that group your skills are relatable and equivalent, and if someone beats you it’s a lot easier to narrow down why and how they did it.

If you compete in Pro against Gentry and he’s got perfect Eval scores across the board, that doesn’t tell you much of anything about your Eval scores. But if you compete in Sport and come in 3rd, you can compare your Eval scores to the two guys above you and clearly see where you won out and where you need work. Make sense?

Makes tons of sense! Thank you guys so much for helping me out! I really appreciate it!

1 Like