Info about string?

My experience (started unresponsive almost two years ago), is that as a beginner, different string thicknesses matter a lot when you’re learning to bind. Once you’ve got a good feel for binds down, the thickness still matters, but less so. I got to the point where I have a preference on how I like a bind to be (not grabby) so I tend to use strings labeled “normal.” Or certain brands like OT and Kitty, their “fat” is actually not that thick, so those are fine for me, too. I went through a period of buying boutique string because I like the feel (especially of majority nylon string), but don’t really notice any performance difference.

Once I start learning more slack tricks, I suspect the weight and type of string will matter more since that’s what a lot of people seem to talk about when they describe what they like about certain strings (“whippy” is a term I’ve read here a bunch). But I’m not there yet, so bulk string seems fine for where I’m at.

As far as lasting longer, the nylon blends seem to last longer and I don’t remember ever replacing one (though I have run a few in the laundry). The poly does wear out (for me it seems to take about 10-20 hours of play at least), but it’s not like you go through them like Kleenex or anything.

3 Likes

I recently tried all the strings in a yysl sampler pack, and I ended up really like the Plutonium, followed by the TypeX. These help me save a couple bucks when I’m not using more expensive boutique strings, but yysl feels very well made and quality string. Some of Ann’s color blends are fire.

4 Likes

May just have to try some out!

2 Likes

So what exactly is the point of a wider gap on a throw, if thicker string effectively makes it have an equivalent gap of a smaller gap throw with thinner string?

1 Like

More advanced tech tricks can benefit from having a wider gap (where a thinner gap could cause premature bind). When you newer a wider gap can be frustrating when learning to bind but you can certainly get used to whatever size gap you have.

1 Like

I get that…but if you are jumping to a thicker string so binds are tight with a wider gap, won’t that thicker string negate the benefits of a wider gap to begin with?

I’m using an MK1 Exia, 4.82mm gap. I’ll be getting a GTR with 4.62mm, and a Monarch with 4.5mm. Clearly, the Exia should have a wider string, but it has been binding well enough with cage free string. It does show issues when the spin is slow, or when trying binds where I toss the yoyo more. Im guessing I shouldn’t use thick string on the GTR and Monarch, especially the Monarch. I really don’t want a bind smoking me on a knuckle with mounts.

If you’re already talking “mounts” and you’ve got three top tier yoyos, you probably already are on the way to having a feel for what you like. I’d get a pack from YYSL, Badwolfe Co and Legit and just try them out for yourself so you know. And maybe try one of the more popular bulk strings next time you need them to see if they’re any different to what you’re using. Minimal investment to complement your nice yoyos.

Yes it certainly could. Honestly there is no perfect string for every throw. I have found that some throws work better with thinner string and others with thicker string. Early on I leaned more toward thicker string for everything and slowly changed over to thinner as I got more experience. I would suggest getting several different thicknesses and testing to find what works best for you with each throw. Btw, I have an Exia as well and it’s so great! to each their own, with string, though

2 Likes

I like the Exia, but don’t love it. I think I just prefer weighter throws…not necessary heavier though. That’s why I went to the GTR. I wasn’t expecting to get two, but saw the Monarch. I like the reviews of it too.

1 Like

Where is the best place to buy the string? Im making some purchases of yoyos from my students, not sure if expertyoyo or ■■■■■■■■■■. It would be nice to get string with that order, bulk and boutique.

1 Like

From yoyoexpert.com.

2 Likes

Lots of really great info in this thread. Definitely appreciate @yoyo_imp and @DawgYo 's insights and others as well. Also LOVED the insight from @MattB Definitely felt the desire to make a great, consistent product while not getting burnt out.

The reputations of YYSL, zipline, bad wolf, markmont, etc are all really, really solid for good reason. Just hope to be included in that conversation one day. We’re trying something a little different with a subscription model so that people can have fresh strings each month and know that they are coming without much effort on their part.

All that being said, if anyone reading this thread wants to try out our strings drop me a DM and we’ll send some free samples!

9 Likes

Good question LOL! - Again it all comes down to preferences, but also the kind of tricks you are doing.

I find that the wider gapped yo-yos are better for yo-yo tricks that involve multiple string layers on the bearing. It’s nice to not worry about it snagging or popping up to your hand all of a sudden while you have all those layers.

At the same time, since the gap is wider, means that the yo-yo will not bind as easy compared to a smaller gap, so using a thicker string will make that part easier.

Right now I am loving just doing bind tricks, and having a thicker string on a wider gapped yo-yo more than helps me with landing the binds and also makes it so much easier at times haha - it’s almost like cheating!

Hope this answers your question! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It does and it doesn’t lol - again depends on what tricks you are doing and what yo-yo you are using.

The wider gapped yo-yos usually tend to be on the wider side as well, so playing with a wider yo-yo in general you will have a better chance of hitting your moves/mounts.

For example, if I am just learning how to do a Trapeze or Double or Nothing, I would want to use a wider gapped yo-yo because it is easier to hit then a slimmer or smaller gapped yo-yo. With that in mind I would also pair it up with a thicker string to bind because that will also make it easier to come back to you. :slight_smile:

But again, it depends on the tricks you are doing and your personal preference! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe consider some set flavors that you can get all the time. Personally I only use yellow or pink string

That aligns with some feedback we’ve gotten, so we offer two “semi-permanent” flavors that we rotate through roughly quarterly. These are always bright for players who prioritize visibility over fun colors. They won’t always be pink or yellow, but they will be bright and visible. We’ve also experimented with dyeing and just dont have the time to make it work right now, but would love to offer it!

Some examples

5 Likes

Lmk when you got yellow or pink and I’ll give them a try.

3 Likes

Really loving Nytro string on my GTR. It has a slick feel, and it is already clearly a longer lasting string. I bet the cage free was thinned out to nothing in 30 minutes, but the Nytro is more or less just started settling in.

Also just slapped in an NSK concave. The stock bearing is great…but this NSK is scary, it sounds like the yoyo is dead.

The GTR is phenomenal so far, stable, accurate, controllable. I’m much more in tune to how it feels over the Exia, which just feels sloppy to me.

4 Likes

Well, I received some samples from @IMArocketman of A&A Strings and have been using them for a few days now. Since this was brought up here, I figured it’s as good a place as any to give a quick mention. I gotta say, I like these strings! They have a good feel on the hands and the thickness is just right imo (not super thin and not super thick, just right). The nylon in the mix helps keep it soft and add longevity which is always appreciated. After a good bit of use they still show very little sign of wear so they should last a long while like most boutique strings. Definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a good quality string or just like trying new strings like I do.

2 Likes