I'm competing for the first time! Any tips?

I’ll be trying out competing for the first time at the wcyyc. I’ll be doing amateur 1a but since this is the first time, I need some tips. I’m already signed up but I haven’t chosen my music yet

Here is a great thread - http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,76039.msg856553/topicseen.html#msg856553

If you have any more question, ask away.

1. Make sure you’ve read the rules, and know the scoring system. Pretty much every contest has the same scoring system, so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out.
  2. Make sure you include your best tricks (tricks with lots of string hits and difficulty), but don’t forget to include variation
  3. Make sure you are at least a little timed with the music. I see a lot of routines that don’t have much music use. Of course don’t skip parts of your freestyle just to realign with the music if you mess-up. Remember music is only a tenth of the scoring system. Music also helps you to time your freestyle right. You gotta know your music.
  4. Look over your freestyle, and if there’s anything awkward or not good looking, either smooth it out or cut the trick. If you need to make a few adjustments to your tricks, go ahead.
  5. Have fun.

I haven’t competed before but I’d would say be prepared to hold your composure after a mistake, don’t let it rattle you.

Make sure you get POINTS. All you need to think is to get MORE POINTS. Play fast cause POINTS matters.

JK.Just be yourself and show the people who you really are through your freestyle. :smiley:

Thanks for all these tips guys! I actually haven’t chosen my music yet, do you have reccomendations based on my style? I play on the slower to medium speed side with not much to some Aaron Davis complexity tech. Sorry for te bad explanation. I pot videos on my instagram @yoyosonly that should give a better view of my style. Also I make all my tricks as smooth as possible