If a 66% yoyo is 66% for each dimension, then isn’t it much smaller than 66% of the original size?

From a volume perspective:
.66 x .66 x .66 = .2867 = 28.67%

So 66% yoyos are really (approximately) 29% yoyos?

8 Likes

No…

Pass on the tech math theory and just use a logical mind…

The plan was/is to make a yoyo 1/3rd smaller than the originals; but with very similar performance potential.

Logic indicates that if something is 1/3rd smaller; than it is 2/3rds the size of the original.

So… 2/3 of 100

100 divided by 3 equals 33.3333333. 33.3333333 times 2 equals 66.6666666

Can we have cookies now?

14 Likes

Yes…

5 Likes

Well, you can confirm or deny this statement by considering a cylinder instead, and doing some algebra involving volume of a cylinder (πr^2 x height) then writing an equation taking 66% of every dimension into account, plugging in some random numbers for both equations, and calculating the percentage of inccuracy between your two answers, therefore giving you the percentage difference between volumes.

1 Like

That’s what I did
Pi*(.66r)^2*(.66h)=.29pir^2h

2 Likes

Yes, but I think he’s asking if it’s 66% of the dimensions or 66% of the volume, as one does not equal the other. Or it might, but i don’t have a pen and paper to do the algebra right now.

It would be .33 of the radius. .66 of the diameter, but .33 of the radius.

No, .66 of the radius. The proportions are all the same.

1 Like

But its not 1/3 smaller… is 7/10 smaller. Size isn’t determined by one dimension, its determined by 3.

A yo-yo takes up 3-dimensional space

You’re mixing mathematical/scientific terms (dimension, volume) and layman’s terms (size) that don’t have a consistent translation between them.

4 Likes

Im not sure what the confusion here is. The 66% yoyos are 66% of the diameter, and 66% of the width of the original yoyo. As far as volume percentage goes, the calculation is more complicated. You would have to calculate the volume of one side and not the original dimensions posted on the website, so the width would have to be halved and the gap considered. Cutting the dimensions by 1/3 will not result in 1/3 of the volume (that is what the formulas are for). The formula for volume of a cylinder would only work if the yoyo was a perfect V, and this is not going to be the case.

The original point was that it is less than 66% volume, correct? And yes, this should be the case given that volume is based on the radius being squared so volume increases at a larger rate than the proportion of dimensions.

3 Likes

Maybe this will help:

9 Likes

What?

1 Like

Lol I love it

https://youtu.be/msDuNZyYAIQ

2 Likes

It’s from an old wrestling promo

7 Likes

When you’re introducing numerics like 66%, you’re specifically talking about volume. The yoyos are advertised at 66% of the original size. This means they should take up 66% of the volume.

Also I’m generally not a big fan of using “layman’s terms” in situations like these. The average person should be able to understand how to find the volume of a cylinder, that’s middle school math. Simplifying things like volume isn’t a good idea. They could have also said “66% in every dimension.”

Sorry about this lol, inaccurate math is a pet peeve of mine and it’s bothering me a bit.

2 Likes

Well technically it is still a 66% yoyo, but by dimensions. It is the more perceptive difference rather than by volume. When I first saw 66% yoyo, my initial thoughts were in dimensions, not volume.

Btw, I’m saddened to see how bad some people here are at math.

3 Likes

:frowning:

My 3 and 1 half brain cells hurt.

:frowning:

5 Likes

Er… no it doesn’t? Percentages are pure numbers, they don’t specifically relate to any physical thing.

7 Likes

I meant when talking about percentage of size of a certain 3D object. It’s usually weight, mass or volume.