Iconic Yo-yos

The DV888 is one of the yoyos of all time

8 Likes

I don’t care what ANYONE says. The dv888 will always be a yo-yo.

7 Likes

Pack it in boys, we are all wrong. Just showed my case to my dad and he said none are even yoyos. Only wood counts.

4 Likes

“If it’s not a Duncan, it’s not a yo-yo.”

Also I am rather upset that despite:

“Yo, you wanna ride the string? Ride this thing! YO ME GA.”

“Yomega Fireball has a special transaxle for SUPER SPIN.”

And the Yomega Fireball being front and center in that one yoyo anime that helped spark off the craze

4 Likes

How you make 0 results?

1 Like

When I made that post, I predicted that I would eventually end up discussing what “iconic” meant.

Perhaps I should replace it with this one, as it more decisively and succinctly makes my argument in a non contradictory way.

Merriam Webster describes iconic as

1.) “Widely recognized and well-established”

2.) “Widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence”

The Shutter is iconic. Modern slimlines are not.

(Edit: even though I’ve been trying out more slimlines lately, and they’re incredibly fun :smile:)

4 Likes

(A quick side note)

I’m trying to toe a fine line between accurately describing a trend that is mostly localized to the collector user base of this forum, and putting down my fellow yoyoers a great deal. It was not my intention to jab, and I’d be happy to modify any wording in the post if it would make it more agreeable.

Peace :v:

2 Likes

One of the reasons I brought up the loop is its appearance multiple times on America’s and Britain’s got talent.

I was looping at the playground while my kids play and I heard an older woman say “ I saw that on the Simon cawell show some Asian kid was playing with it” the bright orange with blue words is pretty striking and familiar snd got recognition that I’ve never got for any other yoyo except kids saying go god speed or do the dna or something…

That ohh I’ve seen that thing response (even with the casual racial statement) makes it clear it’s one of the non yoyoers few reference points into a fairly obscure hobby.

Someone put a shutter in like Spider-Man’s hands or something. Really shut me up here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we get Gentry in a Spider-Man suit instead? Or any skilled 2A player… I would pay to see this.

4 Likes

Boy have I got a video for you…

2 Likes

Absolute perfection.

3 Likes

Just give Chris Pratt a Yomega fireball to play with in the next guardians then have any talented yoyoer slide in as a stunt double with the helmet on. Boom Yomega wins it all and the fireball is most iconic yoyo and Pratt will pull one out randomly on talk shows as a gag.

3 Likes

You mean Mario?

3 Likes

Hey…the Dv888 is perfect. That is all.

5 Likes

Duncan plastics
Tom Kuhn
Dark Magic 2
Ti vayder
Parlay
G2 Banshee/SS
Spinworthy

1 Like

I’m by far not a historian nor do I have the experience playing with many of the yo-yos mentioned. Here are my picks based on my experience and observation of the hobby.

This is not in order, just in order if my experience.

1. that ugly plastic Duncan Professional, the year was 1988 middle school. Mini boom at school but only playing with plastic Imperials and butterflies. A friend found a Duncan Professional and that Duncan Trick book that had the same white Professional on the cover in his older brother’s stuff. Here we were thinking this yo-yo was going to make us gods, but we were thankful for that trick book.

2. not sure if same year but still in Middle School was the wood Smother Brother’s yo-yo. Myself and two other friends got these over Christmas Break. We all had the same shared experience of being amazed at how long it slept compared to the plastic Imperial.

3. over 10 years later after High School and at the time serving in the Navy, found the Yomega Raider. (I will also lump the Brain and Fireball here). Just amazed by the jump in technology and playing with my first bearing yo-yo. I still have this Raider in my collection.

4. Turbo Bumblebee, found this one at Kite Shop in North Carolina. Loved this. Loved the Slimline feel and more importantly loved the BPT. By this time I was getting annoyed with adding lube to the Raider to make it responsive. The consistency BPT gave me was perfect for me.

5. Proyo II - still in love with the Slime line shape. Mastered shooting the moon on this and rediscovered my love for looping again.

6. Cold Fusion - well in my case, I missed the boat on getting a new one. I was able to pick up “Raw Fusion” my first metal yo-yo and I still loved BPT.

7. YYF Shutter - before this played with many inexpensive yo-yos. I knew this was a beloved yo-yo in the community, but I never liked that “camera shutter” graphic until the release of the orginal specs shutter. I now have 3 Shutters. Up until this one a Cold Fusion GT was my grail search, but not going to pay the price these are going for. Shutter scratched that itch.

All of the above are my experiences as what is iconic to me. The next three are what I feel are iconic by observation, sorry but I’m grouping by maker.

1. Tom Kuhn - SB2 and 3 in 1, I don’t have either. 3 in 1, the engraved and jeweled ones are works of art. The SB2, I feel a lot of people have great memories of this Yo-Yo, let alone when you found out that a Silver Bullet made it to space.

2. YYF - 888, I couldn’t bring myself to buying this one when it came out. It was also around this time I stepped away so had no idea there were so many different versions of this. I have so much fun with my Skyline, so if a new mono metal of the 888 is run again, it will be a must have for me.

3. YoYoJam - I know Dark Magic and the Hitman are on everyone’s list. If I’m ever able to make a trade or find these at a reasonable price I will get them. My understanding, these two yo-yos can still hang with new releases.

I will have to say the Spin-Faktor would be my choice of most iconic from YYJ.

4 Likes

Top 10 lists are always gonna leave some icons off them. There are way more than 10 icons.

3 Likes

Dunno if its already included on the list but one of the important yoyo for looping is the Yomega Outrageous that helped shaped the modern plastic loopers, and now it became what we know as the fireball and the rest is history.

4 Likes