I wonder if the Shutter has become a victim of its own success. Sort of like when a good song is ruined because they play it too much

They’re still not selling yoyos at +$100. They’re selling them wholesale

We can use my obviously large $70 estimate and see it’s still way off. Let alone the fact they aren’t selling anywhere near 100 yoyos a day

1 Like

Oh i am not saying your conclusion is wrong, just making sure the calculation is right.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if majority of sales are for under 20 buck plastic yoyo.

2 Likes

Gotcha.

I’d say that $50 is a reasonable estimate of average revenue per yoyo sale, would you?
Interested in your opinion.

1 Like

I got a friend who do toys… the market for toy have steep drop off as you go up in price. 20 dollar toys are considered premium. YYF i think straddles both markets (hobby and toy) very well, but i think you always needs the economy of scales in the toy market to support the overhead costs of a business.

Edit i don’t know anything about yoyo business, so i wouldn’t know if sub 10 dollar yoyos are selling in the thousands or hundreds, but I expect the general trend that as you go up in price, the amount sold drops very very quickly. The fact that shutter at its price can be a consistent seller is really the miracle and probably what keeps them in business.

2 Likes

The 64g Shutter is the Shutter Wide Angle. The 67g one is the Shutter. They’re two different yoyos so if you buy a Shutter Wide Angle, you’ll be getting the lighter one.

4 Likes

Way way way too high. I’d guess they sell orders of magnitude more Spinstars/Ones/Whips/Etc to general retail vs. the hobbyist lines.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought. I was trying to give a high estimate just to show how absurd the thought of them making 4 million a year is.

1 Like

YoYoFactory Ben said on reddit that the Ten-Trick is their best selling yo-yo and it retails for less than $5 and they don’t even sell it in the U.S

4 Likes

Does anyone have input to say about the wide angle? I like the OG Shutter and think its plenty wide for my taste, but just curious about WA. Does it play similarly or is it completely different?

2 Likes

I think it’s fairly different, I’ve heard many people say they really like it though

2 Likes

oof I got a regular shutter at some point. I beat it up a bunch and ended up giving it to a friend. I haven’t tried the Shutter WA so I’ll have to check it out.

1 Like

I have a Shu-Ta Shutter and I love it, those are a bit harder to find these days

2 Likes

@JohnnyJ Just did some extra research that puts YYF at 14 employees and $2.36 million a year. From a source that I trust.

Which is awesome. YYF does so much for this hobby/industry, it’s good to see them doing well. And that guys like Ben and Hans can make a living doing this and continuing to support this little spinning toy community.

12 Likes

I’m interested in your source

1 Like

Does Gentry still use the Shutter for competition or the WA?

1 Like

My money is on the Wide Angle Shutter.

1 Like

Im pre sure he uses the WA

1 Like

Nah they’ve made minor changes to the Shutter since release, one of those was reducing the weight. The most recent weigh around 64.5 (@codinghorror weighed one in another thread) but the shop has them listed as 67 so they’ve definitely changed.

I just want to know how if there’s a way to visually distinguish each version.

3 Likes

I had a shutter in my pocket when I read this. This one’s beat up, might get another someday, there’s plenty.

2 Likes

Huh. That’s definitely bizarre. A drop from 67 to 64 isn’t a minor change IMO. But you’re right, at least per my beloved crappy little kitchen scale. My OG Shutter (blue/white fade) weighs in at 64g. Even more bizarre is that my WA Shutter weighs in at ~66g.

This is with axle and bearing in (no string); I know some places weigh differently. Also the scale measures in half grams, so I doubt these are 64 and 66 even. But still, I found this surprising considering the specs listed here on YYE.

Too bad YYF doesn’t list official specs on their site.

4 Likes