Best yo-yo for 120

I just bought a new throw at this price and it has some issues. I’ll be returning it and wanted the general opinion of what the best yo-yo available rn new is for the $120 price range :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(As I’ve heard) OPYOYOS has some really great monometals at $120.

2 Likes

Butter and bind are supposed to be really good competition bi-metals.

1 Like

I’ve got good news and bad news…

The bad news is that there isn’t a best yoyo – “best” is entirely subjective. The good news is that that market is chock-full of high quality throws that can meet all budgets, tastes, and preferences.

If you tell us what issues you had with your returned throw and perhaps what you like and don’t like in a yoyo, you’ll get much more useful recommendations.

4 Likes

I’d rather buy 3 mid range yoyos with $120 than buy one premium yoyo honestly. There isn’t much of a difference between a $120 bi metal and a $40 monometal.

1 Like

Or get a bimetal on the used market for under $50

2 Likes

I ordered a shutter bi metal and it meets most of what I like in a yo-yo. Balanced well, super smooth finish, long spin times, and the right galaxy color patterns. Unfortunately it doesn’t throw very smooth and I end up having to deal with quite a bit a vibe initially on most throws. Looking for something that plays similar that throws a little smoother, I guess.

Does the vibe smooth out when you touch it with your finger? Initial throw vibe is not usually caused by the yo-yo, it’s caused by the throw.

5 Likes

Interesting. Yeah, I was going to ask the same question:

Are you sure this just isn’t your throwing technique?
Do you have an example of a yoyo that doesn’t do this?

2 Likes

I have a normal shutter and a wedge I don’t have that issue with but I’ll throw it a bit more. And see if it just me lol

1 Like

Lightly touch the yo-yo with your fingernail after you throw. If the vibe doesn’t change and persists then it’s probably the yo-yo, if it goes away and spins smooth then it’s just a matter of throw technique.

1 Like

Yeah it’s smooth post correction. Both my wedge and normal shutter still throw fine. Weird that this yoyo compared to my more affordable ones really highlights this weakness in my game. Guess I should be changing my topic to how to make my throw technique better x.x On the bright side I really love the look of this shutter so if I don’t have to exchange it that would be ideal anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not necessarily a weakness on your part, just may need to make an adjustment. Some yoyos, especially rim weighted ones, are going to behave a little differently. Pay attention to when you release the yo-yo, when you turn over your hand, how hard you’re throwing, etc. Make some small tweaks to you’re throw and see if you notice a difference. :+1:

4 Likes

It does to sn extent. You can see the yoyo pulsating like its got uneven weight. There’s a gash in the yoyo lol

I will try and post a video