I wish we could help the uneducated masses buying cheap yoyos…

I was checking on a DVD I ordered so I searched yoyos just to read the reviews. It saddens me that people just order a pretty yoyo and then when they get it, trash it in a review.

14 Likes

Hilarious!

4 Likes

I apologize.

In retrospect that was a bit harsh. I don’t have a problem w Made in China.

(Still trash though.) :wink:

6 Likes

Thing is, unresponsive yoyos usually have a disclaimer in the description that states that it will not come back up on a tug and requires a bind, but most people just don’t read it. Maybe having that displayed more prominently would help cut down on these kinds of reviews.

1 Like

I think most people skim through descriptions about responsive / un and figure “it’s a yoyo, it goes up and down and I don’t need to read a bunch of nonsense…”

3 Likes

These people put effort into opening amazon, looking up their purchase and then typing out a bad review but they couldn’t just google “why does my yoyo not return”.

5 Likes

Some people find out and learn but for some reason I feel sad for the people that don’t and just junk the yoyo and will never enjoy it.

3 Likes

I know, I also feel a bit sad about it. Maybe someone could have become a nice member of the yoyoing community but they didn’t because of this silly misunderstanding about unresponsive yoyos :frowning:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Maybe the rain city skills dumpster fire.

From what I heard/read it looks like it has limited uses.

2 Likes

I don’t think these things are meant as literal trash, so much as objects without apparent value once they are received.

I got sent a Dumpster Fire on the pretense that I hit Spirit Bomb with it, and wow that is NOT a pleasant yo-yo to touch or look at. (Which, of course, was the intention.) I did it, but it has sat in my case since, since sharing it with the world seems inhumane.

Re: my Top 5 article - that came out of a “wouldn’t it be funny if” conv w Steve one day years ago. I do find all of those yo-yos to be “lovably bad”, but even our missteps are steps from which our understanding of yo-yo design continues to evolve. So no, not trash. That said if you would like me to write you a review of my discarded yogurt boxes, etc, I suppose I could.

To me, it’s a little bit funny to imagine being incensed by a review like this when I see at least three posts a week complaining about how “my yo-yo suddenly turned responsive“ (meaning operable to the novice player). It happens in reverse here, and yet of course neither of these situations are problematic to the informed/experienced.

10 Likes

I’ve told the story here before, but my first unresponsive yoyo was given to me as a gift from a master who was being nice when I mentioned that I used to love yoyoing. The first time I tried it and it wouldn’t come back, I thought to myself “ok, will need to look up how this thing works someday.” That day came and now I’m doing time in the yoyo collecting prison (adapting a term heard from Jensen).

3 Likes

I mean unresponsive yo-yoing was born when the plastic starbursts on Renegades wore down and “failed” necessitating the bind return. “One’s trash is another’s treasure” right?

3 Likes

Look, every boomer in America knows how a yo yo is supposed to work. They aren’t going to read details because they already know how a yo yo works.

4 Likes

Had my ups and downs with yogurt,
Till Chobani made my throat hurt.
Grabbed the tub and its wide, hard lid,
Threw it down, unloved, discarded.
Then I saw it could be useful,
For containing metamucil,
Which my dog takes for its blocking,
(Only goes while we are walking).
The babe, meanwhile, poops while rocking,
With no aid in need of boxing.
This old tub was once a sleeper,
Till I chose that time to keep her.
Now I recognize its virtue.
(Wish the same applied to tissue.)

9 Likes

That yoyo review…reminds me of some of the 1-star lego reviews I’ve seen…“My set came broken”

3 Likes

I don’t know, there are some really nice Chinese made yo-yos - The country does have a four tier manufacturing system - from good to crappy, your iPhone and Eastwood mandolins are a good example of quality

1 Like

You can’t fix stupid.

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldn’t say stupid, but even cheaper unresponsive yoyos on that website have descriptions that state what unresponsive actually is. I read somewhere this is why Yoyo King ships their yoyos (except the ones meant to be played exclusively responsive) with half spec bearings installed as well as a large C to convert to unresponsive. This way their yoyos don’t get bad reviews by the masses that do not read the descriptions. Years ago when I used to buy yoyos from that site I used to try to leave reviews explaining unresponsive and some people still do. I wish brick and mortar stores sold Gentry’s starter pack: One, Spinstar, and Replay with both half spec and large C bearings. String packs would be nice too. Sorry, going off topic…

1 Like

I feel like the average person really has no understanding of the yoyo world and how far it has progressed. its like this alternative culture/club that only insiders get. Normies don’t know what responsive and unresponsive means because why would they?.. They only remember the last yoyo commercial or demo they saw on tv as a kid, usually around or before the late 90’s. Unresponsive was not really a thing yet. they just ask “Is it a Duncan” and “Can you do around the world” or “walk the dog?” At least that has been my experience my entire life. I had to join this forum to even be able to have a small conversation about it. I did recently get a trick request while in Walmart from a couple kids to see a “full trick.” showed them some quick freestyle variation on cold fusion… glad he didn’t ask me to see DNA, my UFO would not be an impressive substitute lol…

5 Likes