Here's my Yo-Yo hot take for 2023

This has been stewing in my mind for years, so here goes. I’m prepared to be told this is a silly idea for some reason I haven’t thought of, but I’ll make my case for where I’m at now. Unresponsive Yo-Yos should be what’s on sale at Walmart, Target, and other general retail. I’m not saying someone needs to convince the stores to carry more Yo-Yos, that is probably a long standing sentiment. I’m saying the classic Duncan models like the Imperial and Butterfly need to be discontinued completely and replaced. If stores order “Yo-Yos” from a company like Duncan or Yomega, they should be sent a crate of basic plastic unresponsive models.

To preface, I say this as somebody who started out on a responsive Duncan ProYo. Dale Oliver taught me how to shoot the moon in 2009. I’m positive my first year playing responsive made me a pretty slick player when I first acquired an unresponsive YoYoJam Speeder. I love the classic feel of a Yo-Yo popping right back up the string. I love what modern responsive play looks like. And I know that when somebody’s Dad buys a Yo-Yo at the store, he’s expecting it to work a certain way. I do not in any way think there is no value in responsive Yo-Yos. Quite the opposite.

But I’m sorry, at this point, I think selling people a fixed axle Duncan Imperial is wasting a LOT of potential that this community has to grow. Unresponsive Yo-Yos have defined the cutting edge of 1A for over two decades (20 years!) now, but at no point have those innovations fully carried over to the toy that is fundamentally sold in stores. That is very strange. Even Target sells a $10 “Butterfly XT” these days with a Size C bearing as their standard shelf warmer. Why isn’t it just a basic 58x45mm-ish plastic Yo-Yo with a wing shape and a wide gap? Just release the Duncan Butterfly 2!

One might say you’re selling people a Yo-Yo that they’re not going to have any clue how to use, but I tend to find that this doesn’t go any better when people pick up one of those Imperials anyway. It unwinds, bounces/dies at the end of the string (from a bad throw) and 9 times outta 10 it never gets used again.

I think unresponsive Yo-Yos are a little more fascinating and enticing when merely dropped by an amateur. It hits the end of the string, the bearing sizzles, it spins for a shockingly long time, it doesn’t tip over easily… it LOOKS like it should be able to do something interesting. And they do let you start performing “relevant” 1A tricks much, much faster. Also, every Yo-Yo package at this point should have QR code on it that sends your phone directly to online Yo-Yo video tutorials. How to wind, bind, and start doing some tricks. I mean geez, you could have people people watching a Yo-Yo pitch video right there in the store, with a capable Yo-Yo in their hands!

My girlfriend had never thrown a Yo-Yo before, but I gave her a plastic unresponsive and a bind tutorial video recently, and she was messing around with Braintwister in a couple days. Now, I cringe at how easily achieved this is today, thinking of myself spending half a year in trying to hit Braintwister on my wooden axle proyo. But I don’t think there’s any reason for someone to go through that today. Its like building a scary moat around a place you want people to visit! The toy has evolved, it’s easier to do basic string tricks, there’s no reason to keep people further away from the relevant 1A play they’ll see on the internet. Thanks to Tik Tok, the two biggest Yo-Yo tricks right now (to the general youth) are unresponsive tricks (DNA and “Going Godspeed”/Rail Combos).

If you’d asked me as recently as 2019 if people should start out on unresponsive Yo-Yos, I would have said nooooo. But the more I think about it, the more I think that as a standardized offering, those basic responsive toys are holding back the growth of the Yo-Yo world. We feel great affection for things like the Duncan Imperial or even the Yomega Brain, but does anyone really need one of those today? Even as a collectors item, enough of them exist already! This toy needs to move forward with the innovation that it has actually experienced. Put a proper 1A Yo-Yo (the object that spearheads the hobby’s most popular and competitive division) into people’s hands as the default. Responsive models, 2A looping, etc. can all still be explored when people get more into the hobby.

And if you’re thinking “How on earth would one go about making this all happen”, don’t worry. I have no idea. This is more so a sentiment than a plan. Thanks for reading.

18 Likes

You make a well-reasoned argument. I think the days of parents buying their children Imperials, because that’s what they grew up with is largely gone. I do think that there’s still a place for basic responsive yoyos for younger children, but for older kids you could very well be right, that starting out with a competent unresponsive may get and keep their interest better.

3 Likes

Yeah I feel somewhat ridiculous having this thought, but at the same time, you start to wonder what’s in the best interest of the hobby. I wouldn’t really want responsive models & play to go away but yeah, perhaps changing the default offering…

3 Likes

I think the biggest problem with general retailers is price. Adding bearings complicates things, complications increase price.
Also if I’m not mistaken, I read somewhere you can get Butterfly XT from some general stores in the US, however since I don’t live there I don’t know.
Here in Southeast Asia, general stores carry yoyos sometimes, but they are usually the $1 absolute crap one that I honestly think no one should play (comparing them to Butterfly is a disrespect to Duncan). If you want half decent yoyos, you need to go to toy stores and then it is still limited to Auldey stuff (if they had one).
“Proper” yoyos is still prohibitively expensive for general public. You might sell them in toy stores, but not general stores.

1 Like

I will say this; when I got back into yo-yoing several years back (after going hard during the late 90’s boom), I was both amazed and happy to see these things were bearing-based now. The ball bearing is one of my favorite inventions EVER. Yo-yos might as well be hovercraft compared to what they once were, lol.

I find fixed axle is great for starters and kids, and there’s nothing wrong with sticking with those if that’s what you enjoy! If you want more from your yo-yo though, prepare the bearing… :sunglasses:

Yes I mentioned in my main post that you can get the Butterfly XT at a general store, Size C bearing and all for about $10 USD. A lot of unresponsive plastics sold by smaller companies can also be more expensive to produce because of smaller production quantities. They could probably be cheaper to produce if they were being made at the scale of something like the Duncan Imperial

2 Likes

Yeah, honestly even just between 2012 and 2022 I was shocked by how much plastics evolved. The YoYoFactory Replay and MagicYoYo Skyva were unbelievable when I first tried them, they felt better than a lot of my 2010 era unresponsives. And what do those cost, $15 and $20? Surely between cheaper plastics and mass manufacturing levels of the Imperial/Butterfly, you could make a cheap unresponsive Yo-Yo that perhaps isn’t amazing but works.

3 Likes

If…… a Miracle occurred and a Wizard appeared before me and said, ‘I am going to give you the Power to make one move than would alter the yo-yo motivation of all potential yo-yo players Worldwide’.

What would I do?

I would replace All beginner yo-yos in the Civilized World with Andres’ New SnapBack yo-yo.

No more Imperials…… no more Dollar Tree yo-yos… whatever it is, forget… I would make them vanish.

Anybody that wants to throw a yo-yo down, and then feel inspired to throw it down again, needs to reset the yo-yo evolution clock.

I don’t care much about the history of the Duncan Imperial. I don’t care how many millions they have sold in the last million years. I don’t care about mindsets that struggling with a fixed axle piece of junk with make you a better player eventually. I don’t care about what my Grandpa or my Dad or my Uncle Freddy used when they were kids back in the Days of wooden sailing ships.

The SnapBack presents a New game plan. A yo-yo that inspires. A yo-yo that helps make moving along the trick ladder a whole lot faster and more fun.

It’s dirt cheap for what it can provide as a learning tool. It’s a quality product that wasn’t released before literally hundreds of hours of design considerations and field testing by some of the most experienced people.

Andre Boulay did just about every trick on the entire Yoyoexpert Trick ladder with either a Dark Magic or Dark Magic 2. Andre has taught thousands of people now to yo-yo in the last 20+ years. He totally understands how fast motivation can ‘tank’ when kids struggle with junk.

When Andre decided the SnapBack was ‘the new tool’ the clock was reset.

My opinion anyways…. Obviously yours may vary…

PS…… Great post, Conner! A solid read for sure🧐

8 Likes

Obviously my position is to advocate for fully unresponsive as the general retail starter throw, but replacing the Imperials with the Snapback would still be a MAJOR improvement, I wouldn’t complain if you got your wish…

5 Likes

I think Andre should develop a follow up yo-yo to the SnapBack.

Once people get the SnapBack ‘wired’ they could upgrade to the ‘Bindback’ yo-yo. A modified version of the SnapBack

The Bindback would be a term used to identify the follow up yo-yo.

But the yo-yo could be named the ‘Dark Magic 3’.

10 Likes

Exactly. The Magic Crystal is another modern plastic that has me scratching my head; this $15 throw is better than a lot of what I had two decades ago lol.

3 Likes

The Bindback, I love that name! It’s the next evolution of your starter yoyo.

Oh man, Bindback really is a great name, haha. I will say though, regarding Duncan specifically, I think they should hang onto their Butterfly branding. Even for an updated model (the Butterfly XT has the right idea, in terms of marketing). When people ask me about my Yo-Yos in public, the most common questions are by far “is that a Duncan” or “is that a Butterfly”. In fact, in 14 years I don’t know that I’ve ever gotten any other questions about the model of Yo-Yo I’m using. Duncan at least has some real value in that namesake

If there’s one thing Duncan did right, it was the Butterfly IMHO. That shape/style influenced more or less everything we have now. I agree that the OGs are essentially useless beyond learning to throw, catch, and possibly sleep it for a bit etc.

I also totally picked up an XT a few years back at Target when I was getting back into throwing, and was pleasantly surprised at it being a legit step up from the OG. I remember having a translucent orange OG Butterfly back in like, 1998-1999.

1 Like

Maybe sell SnapBacks and the Bindback as a default pair. With a prominent link in the packaging to training videos.

3 Likes

Thanks for the well thought out OP. For me, I think that we shouldn’t add friction for new players starting out. The bind return may seem like it’s not a high skill bar, but it is, particularly for kids or people who have never thrown before. My 7 year old hasn’t even mastered the gravity pull yet, and I couldn’t imagine trying to teach him on an unresponsive. This was why auto return yo-yos were developed in the first place.

The second thing to consider is the Butterfly XT is actually a $5 yo-yo at Target, which is really different than a $10 yo-yo. My first yo-yo was a glow in the dark Duncan Imperial that was gifted to me by my parents not because it was a yo-yo but because it was an inexpensive and readily available toy for them to gift.

5 Likes

As you mention, most of the people who buy yo-yo’s are total beginners (or parents) who happen to see one someplace like Wal-Mart or Target. $4 impulse purchases. There isn’t the pretense of “maybe THIS is something I can spend a lot of time in and invest in personally to become really accomplished at” or even “maybe this is a skill I can develop”, so much as “here’s a cheap plastic toy that maybe I can simultaneously bribe my 9 year-old with AND get him off his iPad for 20 minutes” (just a scenario, but you get the idea).

These buyers still expect that device to be able to return to their hand without any prerequisite technical skill (binding). A yo-yo coming back to your hand is SO inextricably linked to its nature (it’s in that WHAM song, and it’s “yo-yo’s” literal translation) that it’s just an impossibly hard sell to offer a yo-yo which won’t come back to you when you tug it or throw it out. It would require a paradigm shift in the collective understanding of what the toy is of which I don’t believe even Tik-Tok is capable.

I like the energy behind your hot take, but to me it ignores the fact that most yo-yo buyers are not deciding between a beginner/responsive yo-yo and an unresponsive yo-yo… they are deciding between ANY yo-yo and a tin of Aaron’s glow putty, a Pop-It, or a pack of Pokemon cards. Novice players SHOULD have solid options in their first exposure to yo-yo purchases, but it’s not cost effective for stores to stock options which won’t conform to buyers’ expectations of the thing itself, and who will literally think it’s broken.

I agree that no one is getting anything out of the Imperial at this point, and it should be sold as an article of nostalgia to enthusiasts. Butterfly and other responsive models, not so much. I’m actually really impressed by the consistency of the Butterfly XT, and like Mo I think the SnapBack should 100% be any player’s 1st exposure to throwing.

But I’m also old and have spent the last 18ish years getting as technical as I can with fixed axle and responsive yo-yos, so there’s that. Enjoyed your post.

25 Likes

I was part of the 90s boom. Started in 7th grade with a Duncan butterfly. It’s all I had for at least a year and I learned the trick ladder up to Split the Atom and Rollercoaster.

I say this, to say this. I didn’t have internet, a phone and the video game setup was basic. You can only play the copy of Donkey Kong Country that came with your SNES so much. I had time on my hands. We had to use our imagination a lot. It was either that or you’d go crazy.

When my friend saw me busting out tricks, I was able to teach him, in a fixed Duncan Butterfly.

With what kids have these days, I don’t see us ever returning to an Exodus of children wanting to yoyo, outside of what Angel has pulled off in TikTok. And he is pushing unresponsive.

I agree that the Snapback on everyshelf would be the perfect situation. Couple that with getting Angel on board to promote it like crazy, with a name the non yoyoer knows, Duncan. Buy some TV commercial time in Nickelodeon. Get kids doing the TikTok challenge, sleep the yoyo for a minute. Do ten around the worlds.

7 Likes

As someone that was also in grade and middle school in the mid/late 90’s, I can absolutely relate to everything you said here. People forget there was a golden era where there was minimal internet. I think the most I used it for was GameFaqs codes for N64, etc. Now you can pretty much find anything on anything. We didn’t know what we were missing; we had what we had and that was always plenty for me!

1 Like

ALSO just gonna throw this out there and maybe it’s the old-head luddite who stands in the way of progress shining through, but…

It doesn’t all have to be about progress.
If the simple, meditative, therapeutic act of throwing a yo-yo out and having it return to your hand were to die out in the name of “more prodigious skill” or quicker acceleration to technical 1a capability, I would consider that a tragedy and a poor exchange.

25 Likes