I want to revive the Spinworthy Survivalist

Hi everyone.

A while ago I made a fixed axle model called the Survivalist. The concept was pretty cool as the material I used called UHMWPE was very strong. The only problems were that the material was very hard to glue and the plastic axles did not enjoy hard throws. Despite these issues, when the yoyo was together, it played really nicely.

I want to try and revive the model using solid polycarbonate, a material that is extremely strong and transparent. It’s commonly used for plastic yoyos, but usually injection molded rather than turned from solid stock. It will result in very smooth and durable yoyos.

Polycarbonate accepts adhesives far more easily than UHMWPE. So success is certain.

It will also receive a solid aluminium 1/4" axle. So there will be no problems with axles melting.

Polycarbonate is very expensive, so I need to raise a bit of money in order to purchase some. I will be putting a few Buttons up for sale on the BST tomorrow in order to raise the funds.

Hopefully, I can raise enough money to buy some within the week!

17 Likes

I am excited about this. I enjoyed the Beater(?) proto I got from you as well as any other fixed axle. It did eventually come apart on both sides. Unfortunately, re-gluing on the 2nd side I manged to make the gap too wide, and it doesn’t respond anymore.

I was going to suggest you make a take-apart using the technique you used with the wood yoyos. I just wasn’t sure if you could make the aluminum axle with threaded ends?

I’m very much interested in this poly one, but would a take-apart be possible?

1 Like

It’s possible, but I don’t want to do it.

Take apart are almost never as smooth and extra weight is added.

I can make take aparts, I’ve ticked that box and now I’d rather not make them if it can be avoided.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the plastic one with the aluminum axle that you made. I must have missed that… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It takes along time to make take apart yoyos to the specifications I require. It’s not viable and the results aren’t always satisfactory.

1 Like

This probably wouldn’t work.

1 Like

Can we just have pre-orders for the survivalist?

From experience, I think I know this answer! I won’t put words in Glen’s mouth, though.

I won’t do preorders for the Survivalists.

There will be no Survivalists at all unless the Buttons I have for sale on my BST sell.

Before a run of Survivalists are made, I will be making a run of Buttons for YYE first.

While I am doing that, in between I will be prototyping polycarbonate Survivalists.

6 Likes

Sounds like you have a lot going on. That can only be a good sign :+1:

1 Like