I think the titanic yoyo has a weird name and engraving

I’m a bit worried to post this because it’s a weird topic but it has been on my mind for over a year now and I want to share my thoughts on this.

Isn’t it weird to name a yoyo Titanic? I was looking at this yoyo and thought that it’s pretty cool looking and that it has a cool name too but when I saw the engraving I thought “Wait… hang on a minute. People were literally dying in the moment that is depicted in that engraving.” And this is when I realized that they named their product after a tragedy. And then I thought about the ethics of it and other products that are named “Titanic” like the movie or the 700$ lego set. But the movie depicted the titanic for what it was… a tragedy. And the lego set depicts the titanic for what it quite literally is: a ship.
But naming your product titanic for no reason (besides it having a cool name of course) and then putting an engraving on it while it’s sinking just seems unnecessary and cruel to me.
Let’s say a fictional yoyo company would name their newest yoyo “Boxing Day” and as engraving they would put a wave on it (the 2004 tsunami that happened in south east asia was named Boxing Day). Now THAT would be wildly offensive. I think we can all agree on that. But it’s a catastrophe that happened rather recently compared to the Titanic. But does that mean if the fictional yoyo company had chosen a tsunami that happened 100 years ago, or if a yoyo company 100 years in the future would choose to go with the Boxing Day name and engraving that it would then be ok?
I personally am not offended by this by the way. I have no emotional connection to the titanic. My opinion is that personally I wouldn’t have named a yoyo Titanic with that engraving. If your opinion on this is “yeah but honestly I don’t care” that’s totally fine too. In the end the yoyo is not harming anyone.

3 Likes

The Titanic is a titanium Iceberg, so I see what they were going for but agree that it’s not the most tasteful.

I personally would have gone with “Glacier” to iterate on the theme, but you know, titanium throws need to have “ti” in the name otherwise they aren’t really titanium…

3 Likes

You bring up an interesting point and I think if this was a more recent tragedy people would be more upset. Like what if a yoyo was the Hurricane Katrina and had a house with a high water line as a logo? This is a super dramatic example but I’m not as familiar with the boxing day tsunami. Hmmm yeah it’s poor taste.

3 Likes

The logo is maybe a bit hardcore with the ship sinking but is such an huge historic event that is just very engrained in our culture also even if a tragedy it wasn’t really the fault of someone specific (maybe the captain but I would say even there it was so many years ago that even the technology by then can’t help) or made with hate and similar, is an accident a sort of huge one.
Obviously the name titanic is because the yoyo is titanium, just a bit of poor taste but I think it’s still at the end of the line.

2 Likes

For all those tragedies I think is different, when something is powered by hate/war and similar feelings, people receive it in a different way, as I written the Titanic was an accident powered just by a human mistake and bad circumstances so people perceive it probably in a different way.
I am pretty sure most of us didn’t even think about it until Marco bring it up, still weird yes but in a different wa.

I think @TryCatchThrow get the point, Glacier was a much cooler name in my opinion but it needs the Ti on it cause the material as it is also it’s biggest sell point probably

3 Likes

Youre right I changed my example

If you Google around…you’ll find this exact discussion when it came out.

The titanic was about a hundred years ago.

To me it’s just a name.

6 Likes

We did discuss this topic here on the forum when it was first released. I pointed out the image in the engraving, but I found my post stirred up a minor drama at that time. Here’s the link.

2 Likes

This has already been discussed on the forum and stirred up some controversy. Personally I’m fine with the name. It was well over a hundred years ago. Everyone associated with it are long dead. The titanic is one of the most talked about and publicized events in human history. Anyone offended by it is really looking hard to virtual signal about something…in my opinion. Now if it was called the Auschwitz it would be a little different.

The point of the name is to emphasize it is the TItanium version of the iceberg.

5 Likes

If iYoYo realeases a mini version called Ti-tan, then I would consider this series tasteless.

8 Likes

Personally I’d be all about that. The more details I learned about that particular incident the funnier it got. But at the same time I understand that to some people death is never funny. Matter of taste.

1 Like

I mean companies design model kits, clothing, even bed sheets/blankets etc of the titanic sinking and have for a long time. I’m not sure all that’s necessarily appropriate, but I also don’t think a yoyo being named that or the tiny engraving on it is any worse than that stuff. Certainly not anymore than a bed set like this one :joy:

2 Likes

This merchandising sinks to a new low

2 Likes

Bad yoyo/company names, let’s go… I’ll start:

I’ll start a company that names yoyos after major/disastrous hurricanes and call it YoYoHurricane, our first yoyo is named Katrina. First few orders get free anti-FEMA stickers and waterproof packaging.

Alternative idea… Earthquake Return Tops: all our yoyos are guaranteed to have pulse vibe and our first release, the Magnitude, will come pre-cracked.

You said it, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg

TornadYo. Specializing in horrendous “whistling” noises while the yoyo spins and mind numbing wobble. Every yoyo has unique disastrous marks, as if a tornado hit it! Scratches, pin pricks, and gashes right out of the box every single time

1 Like

Sounds like a stock YYF SS Whistling yoyo

Just buy em in bulk, ding em the hell up, slap a Tornadyo sticker on that bitch and you’re done :joy:

1 Like

TornadyoFactory :tornado:

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan

1 Like

VolcanYo. Is it aluminum? Is it magnesium? Nope, it’s magma baby. You like rocks on a string? you got em, every single igneous type. Better hope one never smacks the knuckles (okay I’m done)

1 Like