I have several questions regarding axles

WHY DO COMPANIES USE M4 BY 8MM AXLES SO MUCH?! I hate them with a burning passion. for several reasons.
will 10 mm axles work with my recognition or strictly only 8MM axles?
Why do companies make titanium axles. are they better then Carbon steel? or just like a “fancy” thing?

1 Like

Let go of your hate my friend.

‘Hate’ and anything yo-yo should never fall in the same sentence.

No reasons listed after this for your dislike of 8mm axles?

Consider that every yoyo designer that has come before today has looked at the yo-yo and thought, “Ooh I’d really like a yo-yo this way.” Something that didn’t exist before. They brought that into existence.

Perhaps your designs will all have 10mm axles?

4 Likes

Smaller axle = lighter weight of the axle itself = smaller nipple/flatter hub = less center weight overall in the yoyo design.

Titanium axles weigh less than a steel axle, and magnesium axles weigh even less than titanium axles.

Also no a 10mm axle will not fit into your recog. The yoyo design would need to have a thicker hub or a nipple to accommodate the longer axle size, which would’ve added more center weight to the yoyo than the designer wanted. It’s just a design choice.

5 Likes
  1. stripped more easily then other axles
  2. Harder to purchase (always sold out)
  3. I have had many experiences where the 8 mm axle is stuck in the yoyo and i cant twist the yoyo together anymore.
  4. so many companies use them
1 Like

I’d recommend just being more careful with your yoyos. I feel like I’ve had a decent amount of yoyos and I’ve never stripped any of them.

It’s also worth noting that shorter options exist and aren’t exactly rare. 8mm I assumed was relatively common because it offers more durability than 6mm while not needing to make as many design compromises to accommodate a 10mm axle. The 6061 Duncan Wind Runner used a 6mm axle and the 7068 swapped to an 8mm axle for more durability.

4 Likes

Yoyos with 8mm axles work fine, you can usually get away with it structurally so long as the yoyo isn’t overly wide or unusual. If the material is a 70xx alloy you can use shorter axles in a design, also. Sometimes if a design is chasing certain performance + aesthetic one of the first sacrifices to make is the durability, by shortening the axle.

Have you heard about 5mm axles, though?

4 Likes

I would rather not have heard of them

I have had very few problems with any axles . I don’t unscrew my YoYos very often. I don’t think I have ever had to buy a replacement axle.

1 Like

How about 3mm long M4 set screws?

4 Likes

oh hell no

I have several Loop202 system yoyos. I have a collection of all of the spare parts including different length axles including a couple made of titanium. Even though I tried to be careful in my experimentation, one of my titanium axles developed a flare at the base of the threads on one side making it unusable. Other than the Loop2020, I have never had an issue with axles.

I understand why the length of an axle is a design/performance parameter but why is a shorter axle inherently more durable than a longer axle as implied in an earlier post?

Thank you, Jeff

1 Like

Longer axles are more durable. I think I worded my post confusingly.

3 Likes

I dropped one these off my extruder into the abyss behind my printer shelves the other day. Lucky I had another because I couldn’t find it for the life of me. Soooo tiny.

1. Harder to purchase (always sold out)

You can buy 4x8mm grubscrews in a bunch of 100 from china. No need to worry if they’re out of stock, you have your own stock!

1 Like

Yeah, the 6061 Wind Runner was notorious for stripping back in the day. People loved how it played, but I think the stripping issues discouraged quite a lot of people from buying the yoyo. I know it discouraged me.

1 Like

LIFE HAX 101

1 Like