I did an unboxing of “The Christmas yo-yo”

Thank you again to @Cannon

10 Likes

I was also lucky enough to be gifted one of these… It is awesome!!

3 Likes

Made my day to see this :grin: Thanks for posting an unboxing. Keep up the good work man

6 Likes

I noticed the Christmas yoyo thread has been removed?
But I also got the Christmas yoyo and it is super smooth. It definitely feels like a throw capable of all. Like described- jack of all trades.

This weekend I was throwing and my cousins BF was super excited to see a yoyo. He was into yoyos in the 90s. So I decided to pass the Xmas yoyo along. I gave it to him and he was suuuuper stoked. He was already doing tricks and binding later that night. The yoyo was passed on, and hopefully the joy with it. Thanks again to @Cannon

3 Likes

Awesome! I hope to pass this yo-yo on one day as well

1 Like

I got one too, a great throw indeed!

3 Likes

@hobby_master . @Cannon changed the title… LF yyf heist

I too recieved the Yoyo Scientific Triple Point as a gift. Thanks go out to Cannon! Very generous indeed. I was lucky enough to jump on the “Hulk Smashalike” 1 of 1 I think.

Only issue with mine is that it wasnt playable out of the box. The bearing was seized up and the pads were real stiff so I pulled them out. Upon pulling them… I cant seem to find pads that fit. The groove seems a bit deep. Cannon, maybe you can help specify a good pad? I tried YYF standard 19mm (blue), OD slim. My fall back was going to be silicon but alas… its solid. New tube required.

I cant wait to try this throw ! The shape kind of reminds me of TiVader.

YYS triple point

4 Likes

So sorry man! I can send you pads tomorrow! That’s really weird that the bearing seized up. All the bearings worked when I tested them. There are 3 of that specific colorway :grin:

3 Likes

Please, you dont need to send pads! I’ll get it figured out.

2 Likes

You sure? I have extra

2 Likes

Cannon, if you were to ever make another yoyo, now that you’ve went through the process.

What would you make?

Advice to anyone trying to start up?

2 Likes

What would you make?

I love the profile of this yoyo so much. It’s extremely comfortable to me. Because of that, if I were to design another yoyo it would have that shape and general dimensions. It would likely be slightly lighter, but still on the heavier side of today’s normal. I would likely go one of 3 directions:

• (most likely option) A plastic version of this I can carry with me, do all the tricks I love, but be cheap enough to give to someone new to learn with and keep.

-a titanium version, because you know, titanium?!? Thin up the walls as much as possible within reason and push extra material to the rims (keep around 65-66 grams)

• another aluminum with modifications to the cup design: slightly more center directed bowl and potentially a double wall similar to the chief/ pickaxe (I simply love the feel of any yoyo I’ve tried with this double wall design)

^ Curious if there is any interest in anything along those 3 lines.^

Advice to anyone trying to start up?

This was generally my process to come up with the idea for the yoyo:

• collect yoyos I love. This happens naturally over the course of the hobby so easy step 1.
    -this might have been over kill but I wrote down the specs and measured each yoyo in my collection to figure out what similarities there were between the yoyos I liked and disliked
  • write down/think about what I loved and disliked about each (more about feelings instead of numbers)
    -compare what I like to find the ranges of measurements, the qualities I liked, and what to avoid
    -use that information to Frankenstein a general idea of what it should look and feel like.
    -talked to FPM and had them help me through the rest of the design and CAD process

Advice for the rest of it comes from mistakes of mine:

-Learn to market what you make. Sometimes in life I get this mentality of “If you do quality work, it will be recognized. There is no need to toot your own horn or talk about it unless asked.” That works fine for some aspects of my life, but not when you are trying to sell something with little to no name behind you in the hobby.

-Just because things didnt go great right away, you dont need to give up. Things wont always go perfect. You just have to keep trying. Life gets in the way for a bit? That’s fine, take a break and try again. Try harder than last time. What bumps were in the road? Learn how to fix them or work around/ with them.

-Not sure this is a mistake, but get some appealing graphics/ packaging. Personally I think packaging is a complete waste and I’d rather my yoyos just come in the box they are shipped in (usps box is fine), but I’m an outlier on that point I believe.

-Find established people to review the yoyo right off the get go.

That’s all I could think of, but ask more if you’d like. More than happy to talk about it :grin:

6 Likes

You said more than what I deserved, and I really appreciate the knowledge.

Marketing is the devil. I learned that by majoring in it in college. It’s the art of hypnotizing the masses into thinking they need your product over the rest. That it is profoundly better, or all the cool kids want this one.

So selling your soul to get the yoyo sales up sounds like a necessary to get those sales.

Not the only necessary way to make it happen, word of mouth does wonders if you know the right people and get it into their hands, which you suggested already having lined up to help generate hype.

How Antiyo pulled off what they did, I just don’t know. They successfully hypnotized me. The damn yoyos vibed. Some of them cut strings bad. Didn’t matter, I was still sold.

An extremely cheap and playable plastic that could be handed of to a beginner sounds great. Of course it would compete with the Spinstar if you by some miracle got the price down to 6 bucks. You could go with something in the 20-25 range and compete with first base. Or you could just take everything I said above, throw it out the window, make the plastic you always wanted and see where it takes you.

Again,.none of the above is sound advise, it’s just the ramblings of a mad man that barely made it through college because he was too busy yoyoing.

3 Likes

Here, I fixed this for you:
“because he was too happy yoyoing.”

Yeah, I feel like the plastic one I would enjoy the most. The number of yoyos that would need to get made to get the prices where I would want them is probably a lot more than I imagine. Recently I’ve been trying out a ton of the plastics that came out in the last 2 years and I’m astonished how great they are for how little they cost. It’s also made me realize that I can do everything I want on them. I don’t need a metal yoyo (though I still want them). A lot of them are even textured to where I can pull off grinds on them pretty well. Basically all the upsides of a high end yoyo, with 0 care about ruining it because it’s cheap to replace :joy:

3 Likes