Hspin Gorylla Review (PICS INCLUDED)

Welcome. Today, I’m going to be reviewing the Hspin Gorylla. Please enjoy :slight_smile:

SPECS:
Shape: Concave
Material: Metal
Diameter: 51mm
Thickness: 40mm
Weight: 63gm
Play style: String Trick
Axle or Bearing type: Bearing D
Special Features: Take Apart
Friction Sticker: 2
Skill Level: 5

First Impressions:

Well, I when I got home today, I was informed that my YYE package had arrived. I was siked, because I’d been waiting on this to come in. I opened the box and found the Hspin Gorylla, disassembled neatly inside a custom, clear plastic Hspin container. The packaging is simply beautiful. It is professional beyond belief. The yoyo is inside black foam, with the 2 halves on each side of the foam in circular depressions, and 2 axles, 4 response pads, 1 orange string, and 1 D-sized Hspin Hybrid Bearing inside a depression in the middle of the foam.

The yoyo’s shape is one that I’ve never seen before. The rims are rounded, but not like you’d expect. They point downward, leading to a VERY comfortable shape. While the rims are rounded, the edge is flat, which makes the shape even better. The size is just right for the shape. The two go together like Ice Cream and pretzels. You just can’t beat it. The weight makes this yoyo light, but don’t take that as a bad thing.

The look of this yoyo is amazing. The color is black, and the rims are actually engraved, giving them a light grey color, which is really nice. The Gorylla logo is simply amazing. The way they used lines for shading was brilliant, and it really works here. The Hspin logo is nice a crisp, which is really good. I also love that it’s numbered, making me feel special xD Don’t know why. Anyway, I can definitely say this is one of my favorite looks on a yoyo.

First Throw:
When I threw it down, I heard nothing. Literally. I thought it wasn’t even spinning. I was alerted that it was when I felt a vibe. Now, the vibe this yoyo has isn’t bad. It was mostly my throw, but this yoyo definitely has a vibe. On a REALLY good throw, I got a minimal amount of vibe. Now, this yoyo isn’t super duper fast, but it’s not slow. I’d say it’s average speed. The weight makes this yoyo floaty. I like that.

Grinds:
This yoyo grinds well, but not amazingly. It turns like others, but the surface seems to slip a bit on grinds. But, if you get it, it’s good.

Bearing:
I like this bearing. It’s quiet. As I stated above, I thought it wasn’t spinning at first. Now, after a few throws, I could hear it, but it’s still ridiculously quiet beyond belief.

Response:
Not alot to say about these. They’re slightly recessed, and they work well. However, I had to switch strings, because the string that came with it caused the yoyo to return sometimes, mainly because the string couldn’t hold tension well, so it caused issues.

Stability:
The stability of this yoyo is average. Not amazing, but not horrible. If you know what you’re doing, you should have no problem with it. What I mean is, it can and will tilt if you don’t execute tricks correctly.

With New String (Another Throw):
This yoyo works very well. Still has a vibe (still not a bad one at all), but that snaggy feel was gone completely. It was dead unresponsive. It seems that the new string really helped, because my playing ability with the yoyo seemed to have increased by a decent amount.

Final Thoughts:
This yoyo is worth the price. Whether that’s $89 or $40. It’s worth it. I wouldn’t say it’s a competition throw, but definitely a really good practice yoyo. I will be using it alot. Good response, amazing bearing, and even better looks. Go buy one if you don’t have one, because I promise you won’t regret it.

I hope you enjoyed the review :slight_smile:

Where can you get one now. there all sold out every where.

Never mind i just saw it. Why is it only $40??? Something wrong with it??

1 Like

Hspin made, like, 500, and they didn’t sell all of them. So, to make room, they reduced the prices.

I forgot to mention, upon further review, it was the bearing that was responsive.

Simply, as they actually say to do, is clean it w/ mineral spirits. Did it today, and no more problems. In fact, so smooth :slight_smile:

Great review, thanks. Mine might arrive tomorrow, but probably on Tuesday. Great pics too!

i bought one and cant wait!!! :slight_smile:

It really is amazing. I plan on using it for a tut when I finish my new trick.

I just got this yoyo on Wednesday it shipped priority on Monday! I live in AZ.
But I have already had 2 friction stickers wear out and break off. I’m pretty sure it was my fault and might not have paid enough attention to really sticking then down hard. But the yoyo is amazing! I just upgraded from a yyj kickside.

More than likely. I’ve had mine for a couple of months and play it almost every day. No problem w/the stickers.

nice review, thx. for puttin’ that together. enjoyed that one…

been lookin’ at pickin’ one of these up, for the last year or so. i love hspin’s product…and your right, the packagin’ - though not havin’ anythin’ to do w/ actual play - of hspin product is above and beyond. really shows that the company looks at every aspect and lil’ detail of whatever their puttin’ out.

any chance of seein’ a bearin’ seat/response area pic? usually ‘vibe’ originates from these two parts of the design.

also, w/ the curvature of the rims, does it thumb grind nicely?

thx. again…

mgodinez

cloudy…

Mike, it’s basically the same as on the newer dif-e-yo models such as the tank.

Gorylla

Dif-e-yo Tank

I find the Gorylla a reall fun throw. It’s light but has long spins. The outside edge was so sharp I toned it down on a lathe. It now has a very thin silver edge, looks great.

skill level? 5 out of what?
good review

The specs were taken off of Yoyoguy. It just happened to be in there :stuck_out_tongue: