How would one dye clear Flowable silicone to a color of their liking?

Question as stated.
If I wanted Permatex flowable silicone, yet I wanted it to be a neon pink, how would I do so? Would that even be possible?

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

I am thinking yes, I can’t imagine dye would affect flowable silicone a whole lot, but I defer to those that actually do it! (I’m strictly a silicone response stickers guy because I am suuuuper lazy)

6 Likes

WHY??? It’s inside the yoyo and no one sees it. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I dunno, I can see the appeal… matching string color… matching silicone color… sometimes you just want a snazzy sharp dressed yo-yo!

3 Likes

That would be as bright as having a custom design imprinted on the inside of your socks🤓

An idle mind is the Devils’ workshop.

As jhb already mentioned; it’s on the inside and nobody can really see it.

A Snazzy, dressed up yoyo would would look snazzier and more dressed up; if the enhancements could be seen without taking the yoyo apart.

… Also; you must consider if you did find a dye agent that could be mixed in with the silicone; you have to make sure it is an ingredient that will dry with the silicone as it cures. Since neither one of us is a chemist; than neither can actually draw the conclusion that the agent you may find that will make the silicone pink; may contaminate the silicone. In which case; it may not cure properly…

2 Likes

Just like your underpants… your “special friends” can see it :wink:

3 Likes

Fortunately we are not talking about special friends or underpants; are we.

…

4 Likes

I can see my response pads. I put natural color pads in a white silver iceberg and the color while playing bothered me enough I wasted and changed them. Purple shutter/ turquoise pads/ yellow string was ugly too but I didn’t waste them. Appearance is very important. That’s why we have so many finish options. Color wouldn’t keep me from using a yoyo that I like but if I can change it, why not?

1 Like

I think any kind of color add would change the silicon structure.

If it leads to science, experimentation, and the exchange of knowledge… then that’s a good thing in my book.

Try adding some food coloring (or art store coloring, there’s a lot of options) to the silicone and see what happens @AppleInfusedRice … I say go for it!

1 Like

Hope this helps… I found this:
https://www.ehow.com/how_8629002_dye-silicone.html

And:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicone+pigment

1 Like

And as for why do this? Why not? Half of what we look for as throwers is the aesthetic. These are toys we love to look at and hold. If it makes me happier about how my throw looks to me, forget what anyone else may or may not see, then I’m going to do it.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Monkey Finger snot is just regular flowable Silicone with some color added. In pen turning, we used something called mica powder to add some metallic effect and more color to a blank. I’m sure you could mix that into some flowable Silicone.

1 Like