How to stop accidental binds

Some tricks (such as candy rain) require you to swing the yoyo in a variant of the trapeze/undermount over one of your fingers and hands in a way that can render the yoyo vulnerable to snagging and binding. This can still apply when the yoyo is spinning in the wrong direction to bind from a trapeze. How can I prevent accidental binds like this?

Video example of the type of maneuver in question:

3 Likes

Yo practice doing all of these exercises

Edit: For the trick candy rain and lots of other movements the main thing is to maintain tension on the string so that there is no slack allowed to form that will get pulled into the gap and cause the Yoyo to bind. Usually this mean you need to fully commit and just go for it ime.

5 Likes

Using a yoyo with a slightly slippy response and/or using a thinner string also helps.

2 Likes

The trick is to GIT GOOD, jk lol. Frustrating!

Hi again! What are some further tips to pull those exercises off, especially for those mounts which are used to bind from? How would I avoid binding then?

Also, what are some tips for maintaining tension and avoiding slack?

2 Likes

Okay so the @EOS44 video is a challenge video so it is hard and they might have some additional insight. For me, it’s all about where the pressure is on the fingers. Try playing with slightly pressing the strings segments into each other. Also you can try to play with the angle nth index is pointed. I found if nth index is pointed towards the center of my body, it is easier to avoid snagging.

The original question about candy rain is where maintaining the tension is necessary. The most important thing imo is to fully commit so that you are always pulling and moving the Yoyo. If you hesitate and pause during that part of the trick, that can allow enough slack to form and cause the Yoyo to bind. Keep pressure on the strings by keeping your hands apart and not moving them closer together at the wrong time.

4 Likes