How to start yoyoing and being good

So I’m starting to yoyo and I’m kinda stuck on learning new tricks I literally only know how to bind so I need help on where to learn to do new tricks

9 Likes

Hey man this site actually has amazing tutorial videos that will keep you busy for months :slight_smile:

I suggest going through each one in order, and if you can’t do or don’t like a trick skip it and come back after a while.

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/

5 Likes

Besides practicing you can also try ■■■■■■■■■■.com. In there you can find something called Level Up!. Try it it is fun!

3 Likes

They have a store so you cant post a link to them here

3 Likes

You learned in person how awesome it is to learn from people, in person. I think talking a lot to a group of people who are also learning similar things helps a lot. It’s easy for me to forget the problems I had with Double or Nothing for example, since it’s been so long since I learned it. I got new yoyo trick problems to worry about. If 2 or 3 people are learning at the same time and can share tips or ask questions, those people are more likely to to be going through those problems. People who have been yoyoing longer will likely have some stock responses, which are helpful, but not as helpful as talking to someone who’s going through the same thing so you can relate and find the solution together. Added bonus of making a friend or 5.

5 Likes

If you can do trapeze then work on 1.5 or double or nothing or if you cant do a trapeze bind work on that then work on the other two tricks I mention I know the other tricks I mention can be hard but their is alot of tricks that uses 1.5 and most tricks uses double or nothing so learning them will really help out when learning harder tricks

2 Likes

Practice lol I’m just kidding, seriously tho, a lot of repetition and start slow easy work your way up watch a lot of YouTube videos, good luck!! Stick with it!! It’s great hobby!

2 Likes

Yeah I been yoyoing for almost 2 years and I had a hard time for about 6 months but I kept on practicing until I gotten better and that what I like about yoyoing its really rewarding and fun to be creative on making my own tricks

4 Likes

Once you have an idea for what you want to learn, I hate to say it but, kind of nothing substitutes the hours of practice you put in.
I just started too after a long break and it’s been a long slow journey and I’m still noob as F.
But I feel myself improving a little everyday after a few hours of practice.

For example this is my latest video.

And this is a small handful of what happens behind the scene during a practice session :rofl:

5 Likes

I in particular relate to the second video here! :rofl:

1 Like

If you want to get good at yoyoing, find a local club and practice there a lot. Ask a lot of questions, try a lot of new tricks. If there is a trick that you can`t land, put it aside and learn something else. Find your style. You do not have to learn everything, but if you landing some tricks decently - polish them to perfection.
And practice, practice, practice a lot every day.

2 Likes

This is how much I have been practicing the last few weeks. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Are those strings deemed ‘worn out’? :open_mouth:

Mine look a lot more worse for wear than that when I change them, they cost good money!

6 Likes

It doesn’t look that bad when it’s stretched out like this in a ball but next time I change a string I’ll take a photo. Also sometimes with the kitty strings I think I change the string a little prematurely when it seems to go nuts with string tension on some of them after it’s worn out a little.

Like a couple of throws and it seems twisted as F might be user error most likely but yeah

3 Likes

Regardless of the string, I tend to use tension (or my lack of patience in dealing with the increasing tension to be my guide to changing a string). That said, I often push my string beyond when I should change it…but not to the point of it being the grimy mess that I’ve seen on some yoyos.

2 Likes

Honestly test the torsion (or tension as everyone keeps saying) and throw a sidewinder either left or right to balance it. It will help keep your strings going! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tend to play till they start to feel bad and can’t manage string torsion well, or can’t whip well.

2 Likes

Gentlemen, since torsion is the correct term, are we as a community moving forward with using that to describe when the string winds itself extra tight or unwinds extra loose? I’m up for the change, it just take my old brain some time to completely switch over…

5 Likes

I would say so. Tension isn’t right at all haha. Don’t really know why it is called tension, I just started to say it when I started till I realized it didn’t make sense😂

2 Likes

Torsion it is.
So yeah I typically change when either the string is looking too frayed and in need of a hair cut.
Or the torsion gets a little too much.
But then again I tend to wreck strings a little faster at the moment.
I notice this because when I’m just playing the string seems to last ages.
When I am trying to learn a new tricks it seems to not last as long.
Also I might just be changing too soon regardless but I’m still in the process of figuring It out.

1 Like