How to move a yoyo collection

It seems I have a cross country move coming up and I’m trying to figure out how to pack my yoyo collection. I don’t have any cases and i don’t really want to buy a bunch to hold all of them. i keep my yoyos in in little plastic drawer sets each with three drawers. I could try wrapping all the metals in some bubble wrap and just leaving them all in there but I’m not sure they’ll fit that way. anyone have experience or tips for this?

Wrap them all up and put them in a big box?

1 Like

How many throws are you looking to move? All I can suggest is a shoebox or two, some tape and a whole lot of bubble wrap.

I would just pour them into a box and move them.

I store my throws in boxes with organizers that I cut out of cardboard to the length of the internal dimensions of the box. The key however it find a box that fits multiple throws well. Also I cut a notch in these slots so I can combine them to make like a grid in the box.

The easiest boxes seem to be certain amazon boxes that have worked quite well for me. :slight_smile:

If you need more info on this, I can take a pic when I get home tonight.

If you want them safe, I suggest getting cases for them or wrapping them up like fine china. If you don’t care, put em in a box and call it a day.

This. ^
If it’s a prized collection, don’t do this half way.
If not, just wrap them each in paper and box 'em all.

You would probably get the best useful Information if you would start off by providing ‘the most useful information’ to work with.

As S3th already mentioned, ‘How many yoyos’?

A ‘collection’ could be 12 yoyos. The word ‘collection’ does not constitute any specific number of yoyos.

You could have 8 or 308…

…How are you traveling? … how much room will the yoyos take up ‘packed’? … Are you flying? … Etc.

If you are moving by car or truck and will be taking several suitcases, then just pack the yoyos with your clothes.

If you have a lot of socks, you could pack your metal yoyos in socks. >Put each yoyo in a nice cotton sock. Push it down to the bottom of the sock and then double the sock over it yoyo again for double layer protection. Each sock full a yoyo will look like a fat little hamster, lol. Carefully pack layers of yoyo stuffed socks into a suitcase or pillow case.

If you don’t hav a bunch of socks, then go to the store and get a few rolls of good quality paper towels. And get a box of ‘freezer style’ zip lock sandwich bags.(they are thicker than regular sandwich bags.

Get each yoyo and wrap it with two paper towels. Then put each ‘yoyo tamale’ into one zip lock bag. You can pack the yoyos right next to each other without damaging them.

But you would be get the most effective/useful answers if you told us more useful information.

1 Like

If Yoyobrothers ever had to move his collection it’d take one of these:

;D

This is one of the reasons why I find it’s always a good idea to keep yoyo boxes, even if you don’t ever plan on selling them or already have a way of displaying them.

I’ve been redecoration recently and so I had to move my collection (about 40-50 yoyos), but it was just a case of boxing them back up (foam cubes and all) and playing Tetris with the little boxes into a big amazon box I had lying around. Any loose ones I had I simply fitted in spaces between boxes so that they weren’t at risk of bumping into another loose yoyo. :slight_smile:

For the matter at hand (assuming you haven’t got the original boxes), I’d say that as long as each metal is cocooned in bubble wrap, the storage issue becomes less important and you could pretty much just throw them all in a big box. After all they’re made of metal, not glass, so as long as there’s a decent layer of bubble wrap between themselves and anything else they should be fine. :slight_smile:

Unless they are brand new, don’t listen to yoyodoc’s sock suggestion - unless you want your yoyo’s
to smell like feet. ;D

If you call around to upholstery stores, you can get bulk foam.

I’m planning on using that, and a sharpened tin can to make some foam inserts when I have enough yoyos to make it worth it.

Homemade foam cubes?! BACK FROM THE DEAD EVERYONE

if you pack them tightly, all you have to worry about is them scratching each other… so just use a paper towel or something to wrap them… newspaper works too.

The key is just to pack them so they don’t roll around, past that just don’t run them over and you’re fine.

Kyle

Yoyodoc’s sock suggestion works. When I traveled to LA for nationals (from Alabama), I used socks to transport my metals. Everything was mint at the end of the trip too.

Unless your using dirty socks, I highly doubt they’ll smell like feet. Lol.

found these
http://www.amazon.com/6x8-5-SELF-SEAL-CLEAR-BUBBLE-POUCHES/dp/B00C6R0FQY/ref=pd_sim_229_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=51QnYSdg31L&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=0G5BAPSVD1HEE583R8EP

100 of them for $15 should cover me

Make sure to dip the sharp edges of the tin can in dish soap every  time you make a cut(sounds weird but you won’t believe how clean it cuts by doing this).
Here’s a good tutorial by Mryoyothrower:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJifxgEeaU