How to make a Splash Pattern

nice job ;D

How? That looks great!

BTW, has anyone heard of soft masking it? http://www.skilltoys.com/yoyocraft/paint/softmask.htm

I don’t get how it works :-\ I was thinking of soft masking the outside and streaking the inside, just for variation, since I can’t do anything solid on the outside because it’ll streak towards the inside.

Do you guys have any suggestions of what kind of pattern to dye the outside?

To be honest im not competely sure how I did that dye.

Layer of glue, dye in the colour, and either remove or partially remove some of the glue, remask, dye in another colour.

I guess thats how I got some really strong parts then some really “ghostie” looking parts.

I wish I still had the baby, but the guy who now has it refused to part with it. I’d rather that, than it be part of the lucky dip at a bakesale.

That is one nice pad recess!!! Dye is funkadelic too!

I was thinking about doing the soft mask on the outside… but how do you do it? Do you just drip soap everywhere?

Im not sure about the tecnique you are reffering too, but if the result is softer lines and such, I did this by not letting the glue dry entirely.

The best part about these random dyejobs is that the messier and more messed up the better.

Get a bunch of cheap butterflies or imperials and just go banana’s!

Or, just go through your case til you’ve modded almost everything in one way or another…

I just can’t not tinker with my belongings, I mod my clothes, furniture, bags, EVERYTHING!

yeah

http://www.skilltoys.com/yoyocraft/paint/softmask.htm

Soft Mask. How?

well its kinda straight forward i dont quit know what you do get if you tell me that would help alot

I just put on a layer of soap? Or in a pattern.

for the soft mask the hard mask your going to want to use elmer glue or hot glue

Right, but do I just coat everything with soap? Or do I do it selectively?

Only where dye shouldn’t be

Think of it this way: In a simple ‘splash’, you have two different colors. Lets call them Color A and Color B; as defined below.

Color A (the purple) is the original color of the yo-yo. This is the color that we will be masking off, so it will also be the color of the ‘splash’.

Color B (the blue) is the color of the dye we will use. This dye will change the original color of the yo-yo on any part of it that is not covered by the mask.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4541/colorab.jpg

The concept is when you mask the yo-yo, the dye cannot get to the surface that is masked off. This means that anything that is masked will stay the original color, while the rest of the yo-yo will take the dye and change to its new color.

It can be a little confusing because it sounds like you should by using the dye to ‘splash’ the yo-yo, when in fact its the original color that shows the ‘splash’ effect.

In order to dye a plastic yo-yo, the dye must be darker than the original color. In the example I use above this is not the case, but anodizing has special rules and procedures that don’t need to be discussed here.

[i]Recap:

1. The mask is going to be what your splash effect looks like
  2. Dye must be darker than the color of the yo-yo itself.
    [/i]
1 Like

the softmask link you gave is really straight forward, wherever the soap is the dye isnt going to set, if you want a pattern the put the soap on in a pattern. if you want it random then put it on randomly.

I see… I thought the soap would kinda disappear and… never mind. But I’ll do it today if I can get the dye today, cuz it’s veteran’s day so I have the day off. If not, maybe this weekend… but I’m going camping… maybe next weekend’?

it does that how you get that kind of effect