How to make a Shim

I happened to need shims, but didn’t want to spend money on getting a shim. So I decided to make one. My method is taken from separate sources, and then I combined the best ones to make a cheap and reliable shim. Homemade shims can be made quickly, for free, and work just as well as the ones you buy. So how to make it:

Materials: Scissors, Nail Clippers, Hole Punch, Credit Card/ Gift card, or something among those lines.

Step 1: Take the hole punch, and punch a hole in the card. Leave at least 3mm on all sides of the hole.

Step 2: Since the diameter of the hole is a tad small, stick a scissor or knife into the hole, push the card down until it comes into contact with the blade, and twirl it around, scraping the side and enlarging the hole.

Step 3: Use your scissors to cut off most of the card, leaving the hole with around 2mm of plastic around it.

Step 4: Use a nail clipper to finish it up, leaving 1mm or less of plastic around the hole.

Step 5: Insert into the yoyo and play!  :smiley:

Sources: http://www.theyo.com/yoyo/showthread.php?t=46714

However, in contrast to what the topic says, I use a scissor for making the hole larger, just because it’s easier, and I only use plastic, since I discovered that paper can rip when you twist.

Thats how a lot pf people do it. Good method.

It’s just that I never found it here. So I thought that I might post it.

roll up a small bit maybe 180 grit sand paper and just twist it around in the hole, it takes only a few twists and you dont risk cutting yourself with the scissors

I tried it and it doesn’t really work unless you twist it into a really tight rolll. More effort than just sticking in a scissor.

how do u get the shim to be a perfect circle???

buy them haha :slight_smile:

get some sand paper and sand around the edges

It doesn’t really matter though.

1 Like

They don’t have to be perfectly round.

I would suggest not using finger nail clippers. They break easily. Use the scissors or a dremmel or just sandpaper.

Really? I never had a problem…

Oh I broke a pair lol. Well good guide.

I never broke one though…

thanks for the info … i made my hitman’s gap to 5mm … seriously thanks …