How To Fix Threads?

How do i fix inner threads for the axle? just screwed mine up.<---------- puns! seriously though… How?

1 Like

I just screwd up my horizon yesterday too. I don’t think you can fix it.

Has to be retapped or helicoiled, it is not an easy fix. Unless the yo-yo is quite valuable ($50++) it probably won’t be worth it.

2 Likes

Bro, there’s only one way, if you got enough material, you should make a bigger hole and thread a bigger one.
If the axle is a 5, put a 6.
No other good way.
There’s a way I don’t like it, it’s a palliative. Put some attack glue in the hole and assemble the yoyo.
When you’ll unscrew the yoyo the glue leaves some thread.

2 Likes

What yo-yo is it? And did you get it from us?

2 Likes

There is a third way, to put steel helicoil threads inside the existing axle hole. That doesn’t require making the axle hole bigger. It definitely works, I have one here that was repaired that way through helicoiling.

My loopers axles, loop 720, raiders and fireballs have a 6/32 thread pattern. I bought an Irwin 6-32 die to cut threads on axles. This allows me to shorten axles by extending threads and filing axle ends. You can also use these to clean up threads that have been damaged. Best 6 bucks you will spend!

How does using a helicoil not require drilling out the hole? Every one I’ve used requires the hole to be enlarged .

That’s what I thought too, but apparently there are kits that can add the threads in an existing size hole. I know because @weebus did it to one of mine, and it worked with the same axle before and after.

There’s no way it can accommodate the same size axle w/o drilling it out. The external threads have to be larger than the internal threads.

Oh, maybe I wasn’t clear. What he said was

You might need to drill to helicoil, but you end up with the exact same size axle hole in the end. That’s the part I was responding to. After the helicoil insert is … er … inserted… the resulting threaded axle hole is identically sized.

2 Likes