How to color aluminum yoyos

Hey, I would like to know how aluminum yoyos are coloured.
Also I’ve heard something like “acid wash”, what does that mean, do they apply acid on the aluminium to colour it?

1 Like

It’s called anodizing.

Here’s a wikipedia article that tells what purposes it serves on materials and if you scroll down it tells about the dyeing process.

3 Likes

Acid wash is just the name of a style of anodizing. Same for splashes(when one or multiple colors are “splashed” on top of another) or fades(one color fades into another color halfway through the yoyo)

1 Like

Didn’t know that acid wash was a style of finish. Googled it and damn it’s cool.

These paintball guns look bonkers.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for explaining it to me:)

2 Likes

Yeah I already knew how adonizing works, but I thought that acid wash meant a method to colour it, but I realised it is just a style. Thanks anyways:)

1 Like

Does indeed look cool, but you have already seen acid washes before. You must have. This wooly marmot is an acid wash and the blue and silver on 28 stories is acid wash with red splatter

2 Likes

The most popular way of anodizing (electroforming) colors the metal by oxidizing its surface with Crystalline structures that refract light according to the voltage it is formed with. The process is pretty self explanatory and easy to do at home.

My question is how do you get vibrant colors like red or darker ones like black that dont seem to be on the voltage spectrum? Is there another method that gives better color ranges?

Yes, except that you have to deal with relatively large quantities of sulfuric acid. So don’t approach this lightly, kids.

3 Likes

And around 50-100 volts of DC current

1 Like

Er what? There’s a ton of acid wash finish yo-yos. One Drop has acid wash as a base for a bunch of theirs, for example.

Might have seen some. Be mindful I’ve collected only for the past 3 months and so far none of the yoyos that I have/want have washed colourway.

For sure. Never seen the name though so far. Now I have.

SX425

2 Likes

Now we’re talking

2 Likes