How to avoid stripping yoyo

So i bought some yo-yos recently and Im really afraid of ruining my yo-yos. So how do I take care of my yo-yos without damaging them. And what is lining the threads up mean, so I just need some tips on how to care for my yo-yos

1 Like

There’s really no way to prevent dings and scratches other than being super careful. Only yo-yo over thick/soft carpet…make sure your string isn’t too long or frayed (so the string doesn’t break), and maybe even use yoing gloves.
But then you’d really be holding yourself back…and especially if you’re new to yoing, that just adds more difficulty to learning.

I’ve given up on trying to keep my yo-yos in mint condition. Dings happen. I’ve whacked them into the floor, hit a wall once, even got a scratch from a yo snapping back and hitting my wrist watch.
I’m at the point now that if I don’t want one of my yo-yos to get dinged or scratched…then I don’t play with it. And I do have a few that I do just that with…that are for display only.

…It was actually kind of a relief in a way when I dinged my favorite yo. It was the most expensive one I had at the time as well. Slammed it right into the floor. Lucky for me it was only a small ding and it didn’t cause any vibe or anything…
But after it happened, I no longer babied the yo nearly as much as before. I felt like I could really play with it a lot harder without having to hold back.

Sorry for the long post.

TLDR: Dings happen. The only way to prevent damage from happening is by being super careful (and even still things can go wrong)…or to not play the yo.

5 Likes

When you screw your yoyo back together, just make sure you’re not forcing anything or cranking unnecessarily hard.

3 Likes

This means when your yo-yo is unscrewed, be really careful when screwing it back together. Make sure the axle is being screwed in straight and don’t over tighten the yo.

I recommend to newer players not to mess with the yos by unscrewing them unless there’s a real reason to (like if you want to clean the bearing, or if you’ve got a bad knot in the string).

1 Like

Yeah that’s true I try my hardest not to ever unscrew my yoyo just in case.Thanks for the tips

1 Like

Yeah I try not to. So for some reason on my plastics when I unscrew it or screw it.it takes a lot of effort and it won’t tighten Or untighten unless I put force.and this is only on my plastics not any of my metals.do you know why

Screw your yoyo until you start feeling a bit of resistance(that means it is tight enough) and you will never strip it

1 Like

When aligning the yoyo halves, turn the halves counter clockwise first. You will feel the threads align, then turn clockwise. After the threads have been started screw them together until almost tight. Now simply hold the yoyo between your palms, hands open, and continue to tighten the yoyo. When you have it tight, you will feel the yoyo halves rotate against your palms. This will prevents overtightening of the yoyo.

3 Likes