How old are you?

I’m 40, 41 next month. I feel old. I think it’s mostly the gouty arthritis, which I’ve had since I was 26! Same year I had kidney stones for the first time! Who gets those at 26? Me. Every doctor I saw that year said the same thing, “You’re too young for this.”

7 Likes

@ryanmcgrandpa

4 Likes

I turned 60 two months ago. I retired early 2 years ago after surgery to remove a blood clot from the brain caused by bumping my head while loading luggage into the trunk of my car. Because of early retirement I’m on a tighter budget than I planned so I am exploring hobbies that are cheaper than photography and modular synthesis, my two heavily vested hobbies. Since retiring I have explored yoyo, knitting, skate boarding, drawing, and possibly doing a YouTube cooking channel. Skate boarding scares the family and my right knee is not what it used to be. I like my cruiser but am not good at stopping. Knitting is mundane. Drawing, well, I’m a talented musician but a horrible artist. I bought a Canon M50 and a Sony A6400 for recording Youtube videos. Do we really need another cooking channel? Last spring I joined the forum and bought some yoyo’s, but never did practice like I should. Over the Christmas holidays it really hit me that this is fun and creative. … … … Old man yo-yoing. :slight_smile:

26 Likes

If you ever decide to sell that M50 let me know :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yeah, but probably fair. it’s common knowledge you can’t trust anyone over 30.
i’ve been over 30 for over 30 years, and found it pretty much to be the case.

13 Likes

I got my first set of kidney stones at 17. I’m genetically predisposed though. :confused:

2 Likes

Me too! Parents had to take me to the ER. My mom (an RN) was laughing at me the whole way.

3 Likes

I was in and out of the ER for 3 or 4 days because they misunderstood the size from my first ultrasound. So I got to deal with kidney stones for 4 days before they realized they’d need to be surgically removed. :confused:

3 Likes

I’m 43. I do mtn biking during summer, and snowboarding during winter. I try to live a healthy life, but I’m obviously far from being perfect. I’ve been working as a software engineer for over 20 years, and yoyos has helped me calm down my mind during extreme stressful periods coming from work, and help me put my attention somewhere else.

Yes, age is just a number.

7 Likes

Damn. I didn’t have it near so bad. I was just in pain for several hours then luckily it passed. Worst pain I’ve ever felt though. (Think I told someone “just kill me already” which is what set my mom’s laughing fit off)

2 Likes

Wow. I have been lucky. Kidney stones run in my family, as do polycystic kidneys. Somehow I have avoided both.

2 Likes

I’m 41 and I turn 42 in February. I started yoyo a year ago and I love it. Throughout my life I’ve played guitar, bass, and ukulele. I’ve played bass in a few bands in the past. The similarities between learning and playing yoyo and guitar, bass, and ukulele is crazy to me. Yoyo is a stringed instrument for sure.

6 Likes

Just a suggestion but Life is by far the most relaxing yoyo I’ve used in a long time. If you haven’t used one with a very good bearing and some soft thick string you should. It’s my go to destress yoyo. :joy:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: That’s awful!

3 Likes

I’m predisposed to getting stones, but it’s gout related, so I get uric acid stones which don’t show up on some types of imaging very well. I don’t think it’s genetic, so it’s probably from kidney damage, from :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Haha nah that’s just our relationship. Being a nurse not only in the US but also in a third-world country, she’s kinda seen everything. She was nervous when I was stubbornly refusing to go to the hospital but once I agreed and we were on our way, she eased up.

3 Likes

I was giving an impromptu yoyo demonstration in a California Mall several years ago.

As I successfully completed my short list of cool tricks; this lady walks up to me and just stands there. She had a long coat on inside the Mall.She was grasping the top button; to minimize any possible chance I might find something interesting about her.

She said, ‘Sir; May I ask you a question’?

I said, ‘You just did. You asked me if you could ask me a question and that Was a question. Do you want to ask me another question’?

She…Huffed and asked, ‘When are you going to realize that you are too old to play with a children’s toy’?

I told her, ‘When I am flat on my back and people are putting shovels of dirt on top of me; about then I would say. If I drop dead with no written identification on me; when they they see my left hand clutching a yoyo; they will know it’s me’.

Her eyes got furious as she grabbed her coat even tighter and blurted, ‘Well; I Never’!

I said, ‘Honey, with an attitude like that; you never will’.

She stormed off.

People were smiling. I was smiling. Because as long as you can remember being a kid. And enjoying being where you are at; there is no reason to stop what you love to do.

‘We’ are all kids. Advancing in age may limit what we ‘can’ actually do.

But advancing age does not in itself define the limits of an individuals choices.

To me; throwing yo-yos is as much fun now as when I started. That is just the way it is.

22 Likes

I assumed as much. Most people wouldn’t joke about it otherwise.

3 Likes

I’m still a young’n’. I turn 31 on the 31st of January.

7 Likes

I turn 49 next week, and I just hit my 2 year anniversary as a thrower last week. I’ve played with a yoyo everyday since I started and I can’t imagine ever stopping. :yo-yo::sparkling_heart:

9 Likes