How is a yoyo made cheap?

Like why are some yoyos cheaper than others? For example, the M1 was a lot cheaper, but not that much different. Same with the new Fundametals, how are they cheaper than the $120 ones like MVP, where I can see essentially no difference. The stacks may be more expensive, but they don’t add 40 dollars do they?

The stacks is the man difference.
There are others though.

My guess is that some prices are above where they could be. Other things could be less machining time, less material, yeah I’m out of ideas.

Most of the fundametals are a simpler cut so less machine time means less $ which leads to a cheaper throw.

Anodization, Beadblasting, Machine Time, Accessories, Materials (Grade and Cost), Bearing and Engraving (among other things) are factors.

The M1 is an extremely simple design and its small. That alone makes for cheaper cost on material and also less machine time.

The fundametals are, if I’m not mistaken, all made in China. Also they are very simple designs that require very little machine time. The bigger yo’s have a higher cost from materials and most of them aren’t simple designs.

All the Fundametals have been made in the USA.

The M1 is a simple design, but not an easy one to make. That’s the reason there are two different words, one for simple and one for easy. The little brass inserts that ensure that you’ll never strip out the yoyo are custom made and in stock. The little hole that those press into are almost as tightly controlled as the bearing post diameter. Why is the M1 less expensive? Because we felt it was time to show the community that it could be done.

Aluminum costs right now are about $2/pound. Most yoyos use a very similar amount of material, a piece about two inches in diameter and about two inches long, give or take. A piece of aluminum that size weighs about .7 pounds, that’s $1.40 worth of material. Not very expensive at all. And those prices are for US made aluminum.

Typical. I though I was wrong but couldn’t decide. didn’t want to search either. I thought that after thinking about the 888x. lol

So what you are saying is that you didn’t really make much on these? Well you didn’t sell them through another store either. Cutting out the middle man makes a BIG difference. That’s called smart on your part. You guy’s can’t say that something like the M1 isn’t easy to make. With your experience I don’t really see you having a problem making anything you want! lol I also am guessing you had to only had to change the tooling twice? Mine was Three or four different tools. I know it cost me about $2.25 or so per yoyo for mine. but if you add up the amount of yo’s made that ends up being a lot just for the material. Then the machining costs. I hate that part. When you have access or own your own cnc machine, it makes it easier to make money. I have GOT to find a way to do it myself too! You guy’s just got it goin on. I need to come up there and have a little tour! Like I could even make it there anyway.

We actually sold the M1 through 28 other stores besides our own, both on-line and bricks-and-mortar. In fact only a small percentage were sold direct. M1 takes eleven tools to make. While we do have our own cnc machines, that doesn’t mean that the yoyos are made for free, the machine payment comes every month just like a mortgage or a car payment. As for getting your own CNC, I say go for it! Right now is a tough time to get loans but it isn’t impossible. Haascnc.com sells great machines for the money and have pretty good in-house financing. Then there’s the cost of the building lease, and insurance, and utilities, and property taxes, and paying off debt. Whew! If you’re ever in Oregon, please come by for a visit, we’re 10 minutes of I-5 and love visitors.

Cool. I haven’t bought any m1’s so I didn’t know where you sold them. Good to see that they were everywhere.

Also I wasn’t serious about buying a CNC lathe. That would be the biggest investment of my life! lol
I do have a place to put it for free as long as I would let my friend use it too! lol He’s got a cnc mill but I don’t want him making anything for me if you know what I mean! lol

I’m full of misinformation today! lol I’ll shut up now.
I do know this. I love your yo’s and the quality that comes with them. Smooth for days!

I really want to come up there. If I ever get the chance I’ll shoot you a pm.

Oh you have a pm over at the Na***n.

It doesn’t really make sense though… MVP is 120 and c13 is 80? Is it just depending on what the company feels like pricing? And the MVP shape is probably easier than the genesis, yet more expensive. Same with superstar.

Read the thread. The Machinist gave us plenty of information, and it makes sense why the MVP is more expensive, as well as the Superstar.

Value is different for everyone. For some people they will find it in a Velocity, others a Dv888, others an 888 and for some an MVP. Price and Value should not be confused :slight_smile:

That is so true Ben.

Price = what it cost from the store.

Value = What you think its worth.

I’ve seen yoyo’s that shouldn’t cost more than $80 Brand new like the DERT but seen it go for over $250! Thats value right there.

No Offense to anyone, but, for example, 100 dollar pants are made in about 5 dollars cost = 2000% profit, just to get a clear idea of the marketing world :confused:

Clothing is probably the worst industry when it comes to this matter. And then you have retailers doubling the price, but yes, marketing doesn’t make sense these days.

It’s quite different with yoyos I believe. Most yoyos are made in Western parts and yoyo companies are charging way less than 2000%, this is of course different with every single company.