What makes a Yoyo expensive?

When I tried to design a Yoyo, I bought a piece of aluminum (60x60x30mm) and it cost less than 4$, but when I go to the Yoyo store there are Yo-Yos that cost more than 5x that price. Why?

2 Likes

Cost of machining, prototyping, anodizing, blasting, bearings/axles/etc., assembly, packaging, time spent designing.

Different types of material. 7075 Aluminum will cost more, bimetals will cost more.

Companies have to make a profit. Companies have to support their sponsored players.

Yes, some yoyos may cost a bit more than they should but with the competitive market and yoyos being manufactured in China now we should be grateful at how CHEAP yoyos actually are now. Many budget aluminum yoyos we take for granted now would’ve costed around $100 10 years ago and would’ve been some of the best in the game.

10 Likes

See

And read closely!

6 Likes

This part is especially important for some people to understand.

Too frequently, I see people complaining about how product x only costs y amount to produce, so company z should be selling it cheaper. This is not unique to yoyos, I see this sentiment expressed in tons of different places.

I fail to see why anyone would expect any company to not be turning a decent profit on whatever they may produce. That’s kind of the whole idea behind running a business. To make money. But far too often I see businesses being dragged for trying to do so. As if it’s unfettered greed that’s driving some fatcat owner to attempt to capitalize on a product.

I mean should the person who put in all the time, effort, and startup money be selling their product to merely break even? What if it’s a great product? What if the product can be sold at a price that’s in line with similar items, but also make a profit for the owner? It seems like how much the business pockets should be completely irrelevant if I’m receiving a good product at a competitive price. In fact, I want the guy running that business to do well, I want him to thrive. If he doesn’t, then the company shuts down and I can no longer use the product they offered.

If something is overpriced, then it’s overpriced. The percentage of the cost that is profit for the business has absolutely nothing to do with that.

I hope every single yoyo company pays less than 4 dollars to make their yoyos (HIGHLY doubtful). I’ll pay 5x that gladly. 10x would be plenty reasonable too. A 40 dollar yoyo, is still a great price, regardless of if I’m paying 10x production costs or not

4 Likes

I bought some thread and fabric for $5, but at a store the shirts cost $50.

9 Likes

I totally understand your point, but man, you must buy some nice shirts. Lol.

1 Like