How does Ti handle

How does Ti compare to 6061 when it takes a ding off the concrete? My EDC OD Intro has taken a few hits while playing in the wild and I’m wondering how my new Gravity might compare. Will I get similar “knicks” in Ti or will it just mark or maybe even crack if hit just right?

Anyone use Ti for EDC? If so would you have any pictures of your battle scars?

A 6061 ding might look like this…

4 Likes

Ti doesn’t really ding, it mostly just scratches. And then if you hit it good enough you’ll get a nice little spark.

4 Likes

I’ll take a few pics when I get home, but my Evora is my designated dinging/sparking yoyo. I travel internationally for my job a fair bit (well…not lately) and I try to see how many different countries I can spark it in.

Compared to aluminum, it’s night and day. ‘Dinging’ a titanium yoyo on concrete is roughly the same damage as hitting an aluminum yoyo on tile floor. Titanium is far above aluminum in terms of durability.

6 Likes

You can tidy em up with a bit o wet sand paper, wire wool and buffing. Preferably on a lathe.

But in this circumstance, with this Yo, I would wear those dinks with pride as your journey together :cowboy_hat_face::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thats what I wanted to hear!

@lytelvin Gravity is my new EDC!

4 Likes

Why are you interested in this? Why not just get some skills and prevent your yoyos from hitting hard ground and other hard surfaces?

3 Likes

My EDC Ti Vayder. It has been my EDC for about 2 years. It has marks like these populating the grey side, the black side only seems to have very tiny silver spots that I can’t capture on my iPhone camera. I have walked the dog with it and let my non yoyoing friends play with it so there’s a bunch of these kinds of dings as they hit it on the tiled floor and smooth concrete floor.

10 Likes

This is easier said than done. Ive been throwing for a while and I still ding my yoyos.
You can also hit yoyos on wedding rings, belts, nearby doors.
You can drop yoyos or damage them when you’re carrying them in your bag.
Plenty of reasons to ask if a expensive yoyo is
going to be durable. :+1:t3:

9 Likes

Yea the only way to avoid any kind of damage is to let the yoyo sit in a case and never play with it. There was once when my yoyo was in my pocket and I hit something with it and there was a pinprick afterwards, I didn’t even need to throw the yoyo to damage it.

8 Likes

Practice is the key. The more you practice, the less is the number of dings.
Choose your yoyo, your clothes and place for play wisely. Hold your precious toy tight :smiley: Get youlself a small case or thick pouch for 1-2 yoyos.
If you’re still afraid of dings, choose one yoyo, thick plastic or forgiving cheap metal, and thrash the heck out of it, then switch to next victim and repeat :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback everyone! With @LinksLegionaire comments and @Hanker pic I’m pretty confident at this point that I will use Gravity as my new EDC.

@_void , I’m about 1 year in and think I’ve progressed pretty well. I like to try all kinds of stuff and experiment with my freestyle… Its inevitable that I’ll bang it off the ground or something! I do tend to play over more forgiving surfaces but I’m constantly throwing so there are those times where concrete will come into play.

To be clear, I’m ok with marks and dings. They are mine and make it mine! I just want to know what to expect with Ti. I spark my R2FG Deduction but that’s different than the instantaneous BANG off the concrete.

5 Likes

Marks from intentional damage.

This yoyo has been sparked many, many times in 5 countries (so far).

7 Likes

Here is a pic of my Vayder. It is my primary 5A yoyo that has seen many sparking sessions:

No real dings or flat spots, just surface scratches for the most part. Ive picked up a little fingernail vibe from some 5A drops, but still like a 7/10 smooth.

So imo, really no comparison to aluminum. It’s kinda sad that people baby Ti yoyos because of the price, because one of the main reasons to get one should be durability. Modern Ti yoyos are amazing players, but most people who buy them are collectors. If you are a player, do yourself a favor and buy one. You are for sure to want them as EDC.

9 Likes

Is that somehow 2 tone or just the lighting? Did you get an AMS and then polish the rims?

2 Likes

The guy I got it from had sanded the rims to remove some light scratches.

3 Likes

lots of pro players yo-yos are beat up fwiw and they practice a lot :slight_smile:. i’ve been yo-yoing for almost 20 years at this point and still occasionally ding yo-yos, especially when playing with them like the toys they are and doing wild or overly exaggerated stuff; dinging is freeing in this respect since you can then be less careful with it since it’s already damaged.

Looks like the purple ano one to me, less egregious than sanding off an AMS finish at least :sweat_smile:

5 Likes