How does one get sponsored by a yo-yo company?

I think we should leave Jensen out of this, he loved CLYW, but he wanted to be able to do and say what he wanted without it reflecting poorly on his friend (Chris). That’s why he left.

I think we for the most part can leave him out. But, this shows that this can be one of many issues with being sponsored: Giving up some freedoms in some regards.

If I was him and I wanted to be able to freely speak my mind, I’d have done the same thing.

1 Like

I’d rather compete and make my own yoyos then be sponsored. No restrictions and you get a throw the way you want it.

Thank you, that’s exactly my point.

lol wow, I didnt even think about half this stuff. I was just thinkin “wow, it must be cool to be sponsored, how would i do that” but thinking about all this restriction sounds like i reall bummer :-\

But I really appreciate everyone’s advice and comments

I remember tht yyf let Eiji use yyj off-string yoyos in worlds though so it is not like they are super strict about it either.

I hear lots of stuff about how being sponsored is such a drag and impinges upon your freedom. I think that if you have a relationship with a company that you feel you can represent and be yourself, there’s nothing more radical or fulfilling. Free rooms and help with travel, money, sweet shiny toys. I’m sure some sponsorships are like a job, . Personally, I do all the stuff i would ordinarily want to do, but with exponentially greater support. For the love of pete, my high end metal yoyo sponsor is hard at work making me the sweetest fixed axle woody of all time… because it’s the direction I want to go with my yoyoing.
Regarding getting sponsored, I wrote a little thing about it a ways back.