How do you make your own nylon string?

I watched a few videos and read a few things and it seemed simple enough. I bought some generic nylon thread from hobby lobby and spun my first string. “Well the video told me six wraps around, so I’ll do that” and I ended up with a monster string as thick as your pinky finger. I worked my way down to literally just two strands of this thread and got a playable yoyo string, but not really. I might as well be playing with barbed wire.

What type of nylon thread should I have bought? Is there a type of blend I should be going for? Will this string get softer if I play with it more? Is there a way to temper it so I don’t nearly deglove my entire finger trying to do boingy boings?

3 Likes

It sounds like you got a type of bonded nylon, which is really stiff and rough. You want something with a springy texture - they’ll be labeled as woolly nylon, bulky nylon, or stretch nylon. They’ll be somewhere around TEX 30 to TEX 32 (the mass in grams of thread per 1000 meters) if you want a reasonable sized string with 5-7 wraps.

1 Like

Big thank you

1 Like