Making string blends

What kind of thread blends are good for keeping tension and whips, slacks, suicides etc.?
For example 80% poly 20% nylon
60% poly 20% nylon 20% cotton
etc.

Have any suggestions?

1 Like

I usally stick with at least 80% poly. 80% poly, and 20% nylon, is amazing for whips, with long lasting tension. The suicides open akwardly large haha

1 Like

Just try some stuff out, see what you like and what works well.

Agreed, at Jo-Anns fabric they have bulky nylon (1,100 meters or so) for five dollars. You can easily also find some poly, cheap too.

I went to walmart, I got 60/40 poly/nylon gold metallic thread, Poly red, black, green, purple, pink, and blue. Also translucent black nylon. I make like 10 strings and I love 20% nylon & 80% poly, it is just awesome.

I might send out testers but don’t ask me on this thread!

nylon makes rough string but is good for whips and it is also good for tension.
The best thing I have found for whips is to wind the string like 10-15% over normal. If the threads arent wound tightly enough the whips will close up. the downside is that string tension is more of a problem, but if you are careful, you wont have to worry about it.

Rough? Isn’t nylon much smoother, and softer?

I’ve been having trouble with nylon, the string tension just isn’t holding up.

[/quote]

[/quote]
thats exactly the problem I’m talking about. Nylon seems to be a bit more elastic than poly and so when you add nylon strands in the mix, it loses tension quicker and causes the string to feel not as uniform. some strands are wound tightly, and others are not Thats what I meant by rough, it just not uniformly smooth and so tricks like eli hops and others make the string feel rough. It is good if there is just one or two in the mix, but I only add nylon if I want the string to look a certain way, not for how it plays. Thats just my take on it, but by all means experiment and see how you like it.

Sorry for adding this here but I thought it was a good opportunity, correct me if I’m wrong - but how do you make blends anyway? I mean, don’t you make yoyo string from a single long string and not from a few? Unless you buy a string that’s already a blend of the spoken materials, how do you do it?

Well, you could do like you said and just use one type. Lets say you use 100 poly and do, say, 6 wraps. Well you don’t like that you so you want to try some blend, let’s say poly cotton. (Multiple ways to do this, this is just how I do it.) Now you start with one, the poly, and do one wrap. You get back to the anchor and tie your cotton to the hook then continue with both until you have 3 wraps with each. Tie both of them off like you normally would and Presto Chango! you have a blend ready to be spun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[/quote]
thats exactly the problem I’m talking about. Nylon seems to be a bit more elastic than poly and so when you add nylon strands in the mix, it loses tension quicker and causes the string to feel not as uniform. some strands are wound tightly, and others are not Thats what I meant by rough, it just not uniformly smooth and so tricks like eli hops and others make the string feel rough. It is good if there is just one or two in the mix, but I only add nylon if I want the string to look a certain way, not for how it plays. Thats just my take on it, but by all means experiment and see how you like it.
[/quote]
Ahhhhhhh, I see what’cha mean. Sorry bout that.

50% poly 50% Nylon