How do You Like Your Yo-Yo Tutorials?

Title says it all. Post em here.

Mine:

I prefer tutorials where the person is talking. I dislike when they teach through text (with the exception of rethinkyoyo) I find it hard to follow along but that’s just me.

I don’t need verbal or text instruction. What I prefer is various angles of the tricks, with super slow motion. A breakdown of each maneuver is also helpful.

1 Like

This is why I love HighSpeedYoyo so much!

I really like the guy in the red shirt and baseball cap . he shows the trick in different angles and speeds . but when I’m stuck on something I end up watching everyone I can get my hands on . the more the better .

Everything about Andre’s tutorials are great… Andre easily has the best tutorials out there in my opinion, the only thing that could make it better was if there was a slow motion for each maneuver. But I really like how he tells you how to do it WHILE he shows you, and then shows you again AT LEAST once again… Then after that he gives you tips on how to do it, goes on to the next maneuver, and after it’s all done, he quickly goes over how to do the whole trick again once more. I absolutely love his tutorials!

ReThinkYoyo really breaks it down and I like it. I never really got André’s tutorials, I prefer text.

Have you guys seen the added section on high speed yoyo? Talking with the breakdown.

1 Like

ReThink has such thorough tutorials. I don’t care if it’s text or voice, as long as it explains the trick in a understandable manner.

Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfE_lPPnisA

CLYW Cabin tutorials do it perfectly IMO. I’ve learned more actually advanced trick concepts from them than from anywhere else. The combination of different angles and super slo-mo make it super easy to pick up the tricks.

Cabin are my favorite I wish they were a little slower sometimes.

yes I’ve watched almost all of them :o HighSpeed breakdowns are why I am yoyoing today…

Mine is a mix of different styles. The trick itself dictates what is needed.

For many of the tricks on YYE’s tutorials, what is done is sufficient. However, some need more.

For certain complex tricks, I need to see a “player’s view” angle, like what Zammy does. I do like seeing the trick from the front, left and right as well.

I prefer to be “talked to”. I do appreciate it when text is used when necessary, as well as maybe making extra efforts to point to the right string and things like that.

High speed at different angles can be helpful too, especially on the more complex tricks.

Zammy’s tutorials are fairly ideal, I just lack the skills yet to handle what he’s showing.

That red shirt guy taught me all the basics, too. For harder stuff, I watch all the vids I can find.

Actually now that i think about it medium rare

Exactly what i was gonna post. Makes it tough when there’s like 300 words in a step to read, and then you have to go back and forth reading and watching the clip. Basically Miguel’s tutorials are my idea of perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4HiPrQAC9eI#!

Beat me to it! Talking DURING the trick (keeping it short and sweet), slo-mo, various angles, repetition, and helpful animated illustrations. Nobody does it better than this, anywhere. Wish he would do more!

Next, I like Red shirt guy (too talky sometimes, but I forgive him), followed by a tie between ReThink and Andre.

HSYY has too many aging clips that don’t show the full-speed. I prefer normal speed so you can tell what it’s supposed to look like, followed by HS breakdown. Given the choice between “only normal speed” and “only super slo-mo” I’d probably pick the former, although you can always find the “normal speed” performed by someone else in another spot, so it’s not the end of the world.

Cabin are not my favourite in terms of pedagogy. I can’t seem to learn from those because of the fully straight-on angles; on the other hand, they’re possibly also “out of my league” or something. On the other hand, they’re my favourites for bringing new stuff and with great humour. When I get better, I’ll probably appreciate them even more.

MonkeyfingeR’s Jeremy does a good job, too. With the right resources (an animator at his disposal, a camera that does at least 60fps and good editing software) I think he could do some of the best ever. But he does well with what he has. It’s one of my favourites for finding tricks that are outside the mainstream (though he does the trick ladder ones as well).

Hsyy is gonna shut down i think

The owner quit yoyoing

Nope to the first, yup to the second if you add “for public consumption”.

HSYY has too many aging clips that don’t show the full-speed. I prefer normal speed so you can tell what it’s supposed to look like, followed by HS breakdown. Given the choice between “only normal speed” and “only super slo-mo” I’d probably pick the former, although you can always find the “normal speed” performed by someone else in another spot, so it’s not the end of the world.
[/quote]
Check out the new Jakes tutorial section that just went up last week.

Hsyy is not shutting down but being expanded upon.

1 Like