How do you get out a stuck axel

I’ve already tried the freezer method twice, but is there any other methods that work?

I didn’t pay much attention in science class, but I think heat may work better than ice. Why do yo want the axle out? If it is absolutely nec. to remove it, you can always use pliers and buy a new axle for 2 dollars.
If you have a strip of leather or rubber (like a piece of an old inner tube, a bike shop should have some free holey ones in the trash) you can wrap the axle and maybe not damage the threads with the pliers if you are careful.

1 Like

So the yoyo is actually not screwing together because the threads of the axel cannot reach the other side. However it isn’t stripped.

If you took the yoyo apart and now it won’t go back together, it sounds like the threads are damaged in the half the axle is not stuck in. It’s easy to do, the axles are harder than the aluminum body.

Actually the yoyo just fell apart when I was playing it.

Well, if it just came unscrewed you would be able to put it back together. Unfortunately, it sounds like one side stripped out. Don’t know for sure, but that’s what it seems like you are describing.

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like you stripped half the yoyo.

Regardless, an easy way to get out a stuck axle is to use the double-nut method. Thread two nuts onto the axle, then unscrew the 1st nut. It’ll get stuck on the 2nd nut and allow you to unscrew the axle without damaging it.

3 Likes

I’d definitely try replacing the axle with a longer one after you get it out. If the current axle is a little too short, then possibly only the first few threads are stripped and it’s just fine beyond that.

With that said, I’d just grab the axle with Vise-Grips or clamp it in a vise to get it out, and then throw it away because the threads will be smashed where it was clamped. It was too short anyway and axles are cheap.

Ivan

1 Like
3 Likes

The double-nut method is solid, but if you haven’t got the nuts on hand it might be cheaper to just buy a new axle than to buy the nuts.

Ivan

3 Likes

Also, if the yoyo half is stripped, you need a longer axle anyhow. I kept a Duncan Metropolis going by changing axles, using thread tape, even put epoxy one one side which ‘permanently’ secured the axle in place, but chances are that you will not get a lot more use out of that yoyo. The Metropolis was a work yoyo and it was beat up, but since I had access to stuff to repair it I kept it going until the threads just gave up. If you don’t have access to cheap fixes laying around, it may be cheaper and less hassle to retire it and get another.

1 Like