How do you decide which yoyo to bring to work?

I always bring a yoyo to work. Always. Lately I’ve been bringing my 2 year old black YYF Replay Pro to work. It’s comfortable and I know it inside out. I also have a One Drop Top Deck in my bag as back-up. Since I may not get throwing time at work, when I do, I don’t want a challenging yoyo or something new that I am still getting the feel of. How do YOU decide what to shove into your pocket as you head off to work?

10 Likes

I simply do not work. But if I had to choose I’d say pick the one you’d bring if you weren’t going to work. Also something maybe bringing something flashy looking, maybe a coworker will want one and you’ll get someone to throw with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Slimline or undersized if I’m not carrying a bag.

7 Likes

any slimline yoyo I would say

4 Likes

Please explain why…

Slimline - will it fit in my pocket? Usually some dings and is EDC (everyday carry) status. Willing to let someone else try and it may walk the dog.

My Deep State is typically a go to. But I also have some other beaters.

4 Likes

Don’t work anywhere with other people but I would bring a beater in case someone wanted to try.

3 Likes

When I worked, I never took a yoyo to work because I always had several waiting for me. My work was a fair distance from home, the other side of town. Those four blocks between home and work, tough trip. If this town gets a traffic light I’m moving!

6 Likes

I have 3 edcs that vary. If I am wanting just to do 0a, I will bring a Duncan Metal Racer. If I want to throw some epic combos and show off, I will bring a Shutter. Now, in the last 2 weeks or so, I have decided to bring a different throw: The YYF Velocity. I am a high school student and a volunteer firefighter so I can be really rough on a throw. I would argue that in my life, a Velocity is the best throw for me to walk around with as it is cheap, super durable, and I can hand it off to someone and not worry about hearing the infamous “ding”.

I love handing off my yoyos to people so they can try, but there have been times where I told them it is unresponsive and they might not be able to get it back up. With the Velocity, this problem is no more. Plus I can do 0a, 1a, 2a, 4a, and 5a on it (I probably could do 3a, but that sounds like my definition of pain).

4 Likes

um… to keep a low profile? I mean, I don’t want people to think I have a big mac in my left pocket

4 Likes

Was bringing the Heist. Usually forgot it was in my pocket.

2 Likes

I usually bring a yoyo with a quiet bearing and something that I don’t mind picking up an extra ding or two.

Normally that is my Freehand AL :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Same here. Deep State is a frequent one, but mine is still in good enough condition that I worry about playing over concrete. Most often is my Magicyoyo V3, which has nice pocket dimensions, and something I’m not too upset about dinging.

4 Likes

I keep my YYF Skyline in my work bag because my office is a fairly small space and the hubstacks allow me to easily do a little side style without fear of whacking things.

6 Likes

When choosing a yoyo to bring with me, ill usually just reach for whatever ive been playing with recently. If it needs to be a slimline (csuse full size yoyos dont fit well in the pocket), lately it is a tossup between the Daytona SB and the Silver Bullet. Im definitely not one of those ‘mint’ collectors and just play with whatever i want. The only yoyos im careful with are my ILYY 2WEI and my Spyy PC Addict.

4 Likes

In current times, it’s more of “what yoyo is going to chill in my pocket/go to the store with me” as many of us in CA are still barred from returning to work.

Many times, it will either be a new yoyo that I’m trying out for a few weeks to get past the “honeymoon stage” and other times, it is just something that happens at random…could be stemmed from a dream I may have had that had a particular yoyo or just clicking in thinking “I haven’t thrown X yoyo in a while.” Lately, it’s all been undersized yoyos coming along as they’re far more comfy in the pocket than a full size…and I’ll bring a slimline responsive throw too for those modern responsive urges.

2 Likes

I move sequentially through the case. If it’s your day you go to work. Otherwise you wait your turn.

3 Likes

Nothing fancy or too interesting. Anything I won’t be bummed if I whack something or if someone else wants to try it and hits something. I also avoid yos with small parts that can fall out (like FHZ or FH2) if some knucklehead decides to unscrew it. Usually a Lyn Fury, or Butterfly XT for responsive days.

1 Like

Working from home, the full collection is always on hand. Lately I’ve been keeping something with a counter weight on my desk. It feels easier to throw a couple tricks between calls with no finger loop.

3 Likes

I was taking my YYF protostar but I found I was wanting to throw when on the phone etc so I lived my YYF Arrow and use it responsive.

Also doesn’t matter if I bang it…

I haven’t had anyone ask to use my yoyo yet…

1 Like