how do i make unresponsive a metal drifter

i have a drifter and i want to make it unresponsive, how do i do it

Clean the bearing or put a konkave in it. Either silicone the yoyo or purchase silicone stickers that fit that yoyo. That should make it unresponsive

a cleaned flat bearing with one sticker should make it unresposive

1 Like

For me, all I did was clean the bearing out really, really good using acetone. This has worked on both my Metal Drifter that uses spacers and my son’s Metal Drifter that is a newer version and does not use spacers. I did NOT remove any silicone response stickers.

That should be all you need to do.

Don’t think you can silicone it. Just clean the bearing and play dry. Poly string helps too.

clean bearing with acetone and buy silicone stickers

Silicone stickers do not make any yoyo unresponsive. All else being equal, the response will be about the same with duncan friction stickers or sili stickers. Cleaning the bearing is the key. Removing one sticker will help.

This video will tell you how to mod it for unresponsive play.

If you want to make the mod really easy, just buy a new Size A bearing. It will ship totally dry.

Comeptitor’s reference removed…
-jhb8426-

This video will tell you how to mod it for unresponsive play.

If you want to make the mod really easy, just buy a new Size A bearing. It will ship totally dry.
[/quote]
I don’t see why any of this is necessary. I cleaned the bearing in two different runs of Metal Drifters(with and without spacers) using acetone and they both went completely unresponsive with no further modifications from stock. In this case I don’t see the need to spend money on parts, especially if you can get the appropriate materials locally.

Not trying to play moderator here, but on YYE you are not allowed to mention other yoyo stores.

I was just throwing my two cents in. Plus, if he doesn’t have a good, bearing cleaning liquid, like acetone or mineral spirits, I might cost him just as much to buy the cleaner as it would for the new bearing and pads.

Oh yeah, I didn’t think about that, sorry.

It’s valid point, but between the ordering, additional for shipping and the wait time, you can just get acetone at the hardware store and still come out ahead.

All he needs is a clean bearing or cleaning out the bearing. Metal Drifters ship stock with silicone pads.

I have two friends with MD’s and both have rubber pads.

Anyone know if beefcakeing would work?

You have two choices, but both choices will involve changing spacers.

If you use regular A bearings, you’re going to have to use the thinnest spacers Duncan makes, assuming you have a Metal Drifter that uses spacers. if your Metal Drifter does not use spacers, this would be a bad move.

If you use the Terrapin X A+ Beefcake for FHZ, you’ll most likely want to play around with spacers if you use a Metal Drifter that uses spacers to find the right combination. If your Metal Drifter does not use spacers, this may be too wide.

Are you sure those are Duncan Friction stickers or Duncan silicone pads? The friction stickers wear out very fast. The silicone stickers, which are black and look like rubber, are the regular pads that I’ve had in the Metal Drifters I have access to.