How are bimetals made?

So past few days I’ve been wondering how bimetal or metal and plastic yoyos are made. I have no idea about machining or general manufacturing techniques so apologies if this is a dumb question :sweat_smile:.
What keeps the 2 elements together? Is it just a strong glue? To me that sounds like it might effect the weight distribution or durability.
Then I thought it’s some sort of groove that they some how slot together? I’ve never owned a bimetal so not had a chance to have a close up look. Also has anyone had their bimetal fall apart or anything? I imagine you’d have to hit it off something pretty hard for this to happen but dunno if it’s a common thing with bimetals.

3 Likes

They are usually kept together by pression. The pieces are machined separatedly and then pressed together.

1 Like

And I think it’s strange, but yeah, they can fall apart.

1 Like

Ah so it’s just pressure keeping them together? Makes sense I guess. I thought that might not be too secure but that’s probably where the craftsmanship comes into it

Yoyo is cooled until it shrinks a little bit, rim is put on, yoyo becomes room temperature, metals become BFFs

6 Likes

Ah yeah of course! That’s some clever ■■■■ right there. I shouldn’t have went to art school hahah

Yes, you should have ‘went’.

Haha sorry some of my regional accent showing there. And by that I mean terrible English haha

2 Likes

So, my child… there are birds, and there are bees. One day a bumblebee met a lovely hummingbird, and the rest is history…

2 Likes

Nature is amazing :upside_down_face: