Bi metal CAD designing

Hey, I design yoyos for an upcoming company, and I’m not sure how to design bimetal throws. I don’t know whether to make the rings separately, or cut of part of the cross section and make it a ring, I don’t know. Do I make it so the snaps together with the rest of the yoyo?

Generally the rings are made separately and then thermally fitted to the other part of the yoyo.

1 Like

A guy posted a picture of a bimetal cad in the facebook yoyo designers group a few days ago. He just attached it to the rim of the yoyo on the design, and I assume just assigned the material separately from the body of the yoyo. They’ll need to machine the two parts separately for obvious reasons, but you can attach it to the yoyo body on the actual cad so you can have an idea of how it would actually look.

1 Like

by thermally fitted, do you mean welded onto the yoyo?

Welding is way too inconsistent for yoyos as it adds quite a lot of material and doesn’t add it evenly enough.

you dont weld the rings onto the yoyo.

its a press fit.

What it means is that you machine to an interference fit or very tight fit. To attach the ring you heat it which makes it expand. While it’s heated you press it on to the other part. When it cools it will be attached very firmly. No disrespect intended, but it’s not a novice design project.

1 Like

Thermal fits in the yoyo world are very rare… as far as I know nobody has actually released a yo-yo made this way. I have a yo-yo coming out soon that does it, but most others are just a very tight press fit.

Kyle