Bi-Metal Rims

So, for the entirety that I’ve been Yoyoing, I have always had this question, but (for some reason) never asked anyone it. How are bi-metal rims attached to the main body of a Yoyo?

I think I saw a YouTube video of someone doing it this way (don’t quote me on this): Part of the yoyo is made really cold and shrinks it just a bit. The rims and body are placed together. As the two pieces come to room temp, they return to their normal size and the halves stay together by friction and physical barriers.

5 Likes

Whothee is correct as usual.

3 Likes

I just thought they were press fitted, and due to their design they just stuck on. That’s crazy

2 Likes

Any other way other than the cooling method would likely introduce vibration.

2 Likes

Ya Na Si yoyo posted a review of the Haymaker X in his blog and he talked about rim fittings: https://www.yanasiyoyo.com/blog/2018/6/14/review-duncan-haymakerx

1 Like

That’s a great article. The big trend in 2018, from my perspective, is bimetals where the steel extends (far!) beyond the edge of the cup. The rim isn’t aluminum with steel fitted above, fitted below, or sandwiched within … the rim itself is 100% steel!

Ironically enough the Edge Beyond is a major example of this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: multiple examples in the YYF lineup for 2018: Alta, Singularity, plus a few from other vendors like the Krown 7068.

3 Likes