Homer Yos - Community Inspired Designs

minimum thickness tolerance for 6061 is just over 1.5 mm if i’m not mistaken…

aesthetics, through simplicity, or design features are still important

1 Like

I would use normal 19mm pads, but include a little undercut groove in the response moat so that flowable silicone sticks better. What better Homer design feature is there than one that solves a problem that you had only once?

2 Likes

or has the potential to make flowing silicone less scary and more accessible to amateurs :thinking:

1 Like

I was just thinking it would be nice to bring spr kits back. I like the idea of being able to switch my bearing size at will.

3 Likes

I dont think flowable silicone is that hard to do, but I also dont think the standard 19mm grooves are the best for it either. Snow tires seem to be a good middle ground

2 Likes

This thinking of ideas is what inspired Old School Throws. A few of our models are pretty mainstream but I’m particularly proud of the Resto and Medallion. After the recent resurgence in slimlines, I was curious to see how stable I could get one to be. At 56g and only 31mm in width a lot of people were surprised at how stable it was. It was awesome seeing peoples’ reactions trying them at the Boutique Yoyo Collective table at Worlds this year.

In a similar vein I wanted to see how much I could get out of a mini. My complaint for most minis is that they’re made the same weight as full size yoyos which make them feel super heavy on the string due to the compact size. That’s why I went with Tungsten rings. At 56g it feels like what I think a mini should feel like. To me, a mini should feel like a full size, which is different than weighing the same as one.

Here’s a photo of the pair:

Imgur

If you click the link there are a few more photos of them on my Flickr: mrciurleo’s Flickr

6 Likes

I really enjoyed trying both of them at worlds this year!

2 Likes

i like your throws @mrciurleo, and have wanted to snag a quint for a while. unfortunately the only piece i do have is your collaboration w/ a-rt, which i find to be quite a pleasant piece.

i have questions i think everyone should be asking if they are making or redesigning a yoyo (screencapped here), that i’m asking myself, as well as other questions, in the process… engineering 101. a product is worthless if no one will buy it.

i appreciate your input, and i admire your line of thinking. further inspiration!

2 Likes

with the freedom of 5a happening as this discussion is opening, anyone been holding back on something they would like to discuss?

I have an idea that I would love to explore.

The concept is a radical undercut, but I would like it to be so severe that the cup actually bulges out.

Given the constraints of having an area big enough for the response, I am not sure if this possible to do, and I haven’t done precise enough work to know. But that is the basic concept.

Perhaps even put some SEs in there.
The Oxygene Hyperion utilised this kind of design, but I would love to push it way further.

2 Likes

Another idea: IMO we’re currently lacking a pocket-sized no-compromises throw. The General Yo Mini Star 2 for example, width 36mm diameter 48mm is narrow enough to fit in your pocket. But it’s impossible to get one now. Maybe the Sengoku Masamini 2.0 will fill that void? It is smaller with diameter 39mm but probably plays like a beast.

2 Likes

woooooooooooowwwwwwwww!!! i was looking at different shots of the hyperion - it has a beautiful design. let me ask this, what would you be trying to accomplish with the design? i have a couple ideas…

to @Mep’s point, i haven’t played the masamini, but i know @FrankieJR has. i haven’t played the ministar, but i really like general yo throws. i just picked up a battosai, and @FourCorner’s mention of an undercut made me think of the bowl on that. it’s a unique piece, and has a lot of interesting features in play and design

I would think that you could push the weight further to the rims with this type of design to make it more stable.

Even without significantly more rim weight, the changes in the distribution of the weight would be interesting to investigate, both in feel and performance.

Enlarged catch zone.

1 Like

A yo-yo decorated like a Doughnot.
Am I really understanding this topic Doh.

The Hubless yoyo had a couple :doughnut: colorways. YYE had the bite sized version.

@FourCorner this sort of has a similar profile to what you designed.

1 Like

@MarkD I was thinking more like a trumpet bell shape

3 Likes

Dual schmoove ring classic high walled organic body, but with a stepped machined look (think tiered rice fields) “modernized gap” emphasizing the schmoove rings with each step progression with softened machine lines where the edges of the schmoove ring progress along the natural curve of the body. Bi-metal so the rims can be thinned and give a fast solid yet floaty feel to it while maintaining a decent rim weight to body ratio. Flat hub so it can easily become an art piece for the hobbyists. Sharper angled progression of inner rim to keep it from having that hollow soulless yoyo feel. Making it something beautifully unique and has a little something for everyone even people that like more angular yo-yos.
Specs: 56.45 Diameter x 44.5 width, 64.5 grams. 4.50mm gap with a center track bearing and standardized 19mm OD Response groove.:weary::ok_hand:

5 Likes

a man that knows what he wants!!!

btw, welcome @Tobiyo89 :grin:

3 Likes

ok, here’s an incredibly stupid idea. Since the homer vehicle was also prohibitively expensive, we should come up with a new way to manufacture it too. maybe a way about getting around the wall thickness limitations of aluminum. First we machine whichever side out of the billet we want first, then when we flip over we place the half machined yoyo into a sabot of sorts what fills the entire cup or outer edge of the bowl (depending on which side you machine first). So basically we have made another blank billet so the aluminum can’t flex.

Sure it’ll make it stupid fragile and if we ding it once it’ll wobble like a ball, but that doesn’t matter! Progress and more rim weight!

2 Likes

innovation starts with an idea :wink:

1 Like