Homemade titanium mini #3

This is fun. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/29/e5u4ege8.jpg

100% done on a manual lathe with one broken handle. :slight_smile: I need to fine tune, deburr, silicone and the test! (Testing is the best part)

How does the hub look?

Also have you considered doing something like the eli dert where they increased the rim weight with tungsten weight rings?

I am not too concerned about rim weight with this design. The walls are so thin that all the weight is in the rims anyways. That is one of the cool things about titanium over aluminum is how thin you can make parts and how quickly the weight adds up in the other parts since it is heavier then aluminum.

Looking good, Jon!

Looking good! Lets see some more pics!

Waiting for silicone to dry then I will clean up the bearing seat and polish the catch zone.

Can’t figure out how to edit on tapatalk so here is the guts in a new post. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/30/vyqubazy.jpg

The pivot! We gotta come up with a catchy name for this. Might take off! haha

Now it is polished!

Nice job. Reminds me of a less aggressive, smaller cafe racer.

Seeing how small it is, I wouldn’t want it to be so heavy relative to the diameter/width. I’m fine with it not spinning long but I just dislike those smaller throws that feel like bricks on the string :stuck_out_tongue:

Where is the picture of it polished?

I only see a picture of it looking like all the previous ones.

In the last photo it is polished to 400 grit. I didn’t go for a mirror finished. I mostly polished it to radius over sharp edges and remove burrs.

I have a lot of tweaking to do on this thing still! Right now it Vibes like a crazy! My bearing seat needs to be resquared and slightly enlarged. After that I will see where I am at. :slight_smile:

Judging from the look of it, I think the vibe shouldn’t be from how accurate it’s machined but rather the design itself. I’ve been thinking about this since a long time (and experienced myself), basically if you put more weight wider (towards the width) versus diameter, the yoyo will be less likely to balance itself, thus if it has very small imperfection (which always will), the yoyo will vibe. Some yoyos are very close to this effect (not sure how to call it), and they are always the ones with higher width vs diameter ratio or basically where the weight was put too outward width-wise, these are usually rather hard to throw straight and are prone to vibe.

Actually it’s quite simple, it’s like trying to make a yoyo out of a pencil, instead of spinning on the graphite axis, it wants to spin sideways because the weight is too outwide it wants to balance itself out in the undesired way. Same thing with yoyos only it hasn’t been a problem till nowadays since yoyos in the past are narrow and are getting wider and wider over time.

I can’t think of a way to fix it without altering the weight or the shape too much. I hope it was just machining imperfections though… please update after you tweak it, I wanna see if my theory was right.

Long time no update on this. I broke my lathe and bought a bigger one with a DRO. I haven’t had time to play with this yoyo yet but I hope to get back to work on it soon.

With some tuning the vibe can be reduced but it doesn’t go away. It plays fun still though. I can do 25 second combos no problem. The catch zone makes this my easiest small yoyo to do spirit bomb on. Hopefully I can make this work!

I went over this throw with my new lathe and made everything the same dimension. Once everything was true from one side to the other I was able to discover that my axle for the holes in the halves to loose. This cannot be corrected since my axle was the right size but the halves drilled to large. I suspect the culprit was chip build up on the endmill I reamed with.

It does look pretty an play will even of it vibes. 30-40 second combos are not a problem. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/16/491536e689050009ae099178e1b389d3.jpg

I am going to make this my new beater yoyo for playing on asphalt and concrete. I also want to see how much sparking it takes to mess it up worse. :slight_smile:

congratulations for the good work!
lathe that you have?

Thanks!

I have a jet 13x40 and a jet gh-1640zk with DRO.

Wow!
beautiful machines! :wink:

Would it be possible to install a helicoil to help with the looseness?