Highwall serenity.

High walled yoyos are great. They certainly aren’t the kind of yoyo that I would use in a competition, but when I’m just walking around town and want a yoyo to play around with, high walled yoyos are my go-to.

Thank you

I used to love my Raptor before I seriously messed it up and rendered it unplayable. :frowning: I love that shape though. It just feels so natural, and almost gives that vibe kind of like how a classic good old yoyo should feel.

I should get another Raptor…

When a yo-yo is high-walled the face of the yo-yo is cut back resulting in more surface area of the yo-yo touching the string when it tilts; and a thinner profile. Both of these things are good traits for a freehand yo-yo. Also, a higher wall makes for cleaner string rejections, whereas the hard edge inside the gap will force the string out more directly.

High-walling is fairly easy to do on a Duncan yo-yo, but very difficult to do on any yo-yo with an integrated bearing seat, for example the YoYoJam Hitman. This is due to when you shave the face of the yo-yo down you need to lower the bearing seat as well. That is vary easy to do on a Duncan yo-yo because all you have to do is put in thinner spacers of sand the back of your spacers down. On a YoYoJam yo-yo or any other yo-yo that has the bearing seat built in you have to completely re-machine the bearing seat.

After YoYoFactory made the '08 888 they produced a small run of high-walled 888s. These were a big hit so YoYoFactory made high-walling standard on all of their '09 888s and Skylines.

In this picture you can clearly see how a yo-yo would look before (on the left) and after (on the right) being high-walled.

-yoyowiki…

Just curious, do highwalls offer any other benefits than better string rejections, or is it just feel?

Earlier in the thread they said it helps with 5a. I’m pretty new to 5a so I’m not 100% on it.

Ummm raptor ‘walls’ are approx. 1-1.5mm higher than my Supernova walls ?
FHZ highwall yoyo, Dark Magic highwall yoyo, General yo Torrent, bingo highwall, Duncan Raptor ??? Not so much.
Being one who enjoys splitting hair, raptor walls are like 2.5-3.0mm(just the naked eye measurement, no ruler close to hand, sorry), now I know this is largley due to preference, but I would not classify that as highwall. If the Raptor is considered highwall, then wouldnt the majority of yoyos manufactured today, mostly be considered highwall yoyos ?
The raptor is a killer yoyo, no denying that, mine gets thrown regularily, I absolutely love it.
It is a 40.00 yoyo that in every way, equals the performance of a 140.00 yoyo.
Duncan hit a homer with the Raptor, glad people are still enjoying em.

I was under the understanding that a Highwall was a curve or slant that hit a point and just dropped straight down more than standard to the response.

I’m too lazy to go through this thread to see if anyone posted about the older General Yo models, which were all high-walled. Still just as good as any other yoyo out there today… and perfectly crafted works of arts too.

I guess the walls on the Raptor are not as high as the FHZ but when you compare it to a supernova, the shutter or the new superstar it dose have more of a “wall”. being technical its not really a high wall yoyo but at a glance it is organic shaped and it has higher walls compared to other yoyos out today

2 whole pages.

By the way, the magnetude is similar to the FHZ, and it ROCKS!!!

I’m still trying to figure out how this thing works, d’oh I know it works like any other yoyo, but what I’m asking about is how the magnets interact with play (yes I’m of the understand that it has a polar orientation and the side caps are magnetic and the single or double counter weight(s) have magnets that play well with the side caps) I’m just confused how the magnetic stuff enhance and interact with a play style.

Thanks for an idea and sorry for digressing!

I took off the z stacks and play it 1a. The cup without the stacks looks very cool

Wow I love my Metal Drifter. It may not be as smooth as my Canvas or as stable as my Supernova, but it is good small bearing fun. I don’t know how you can say it sucks.

Thank I tried to find a video on that yoyo and all that came up was “magneto” talking about how it came to being and what he did to the caps for v2.0 differently then on v1.0.

They offer superior regens too.