Hidden yo-yos

I am currently on vacation and I went to a toy store because they have been known to carry yo-yos. One of the first displays I saw was a rack with three different types of yo-yos. I picked up two of them.

The wooden one was fine. I can do a few stalls, but either I am not good enough or the yo-yo is not good enough. The main point of this post is the metal one. The metal one was $6.99 and has a ball bearing. Usually a not name brand yo-yo of that price does not have a bearing. This yo-yo was extremely surprising. It is responsive, but I have been able to do Eli hops, green triangles, and skin the gerbil. The inside looks a little weird but it is all about how it plays, right?
Has anyone else ever had a yo-yo that completely destroyed their expectations?

11 Likes

Yeah, the YYF One. I expected it to be a playable throw but it was worse than tying a 1/2" bolt to the end of a string. After I smashed it into a million pieces in a mad rage I tied a 1/2" bolt to the end of the string to confirm.

That metal throw is super cool! Did you weigh it? Is it aluminum or steel?

Ivan

4 Likes

I got that same metal yoyo on vacation. All I have to say is dont do thumb grinds on it, just trust me.

1 Like

If only I could do thumb grinds😢

4 Likes

I actually don’t think it is solid metal. I don’t know if it is even possible, but it feels like metal coated plastic. I don’t know much about the design process of yo-yos though, so I am in no position to figure out what material it is. I also do not have a precise scale, but it feels very heavy.

1 Like

The opposite happened to me with the YYF Whip. For $6.99 I didn’t have high expectations and as soon as I threw it I was amazed at how reliable the response is right out of the box. It has become my new favorite responsive throw.

5 Likes

Same! I recently bought a Whip to give away to the next person who sees me play and shows interest in trying this hobby, but dang. I think I’ll keep it.

Ivan

4 Likes

Metal coated could be a thing. Polaroid chrome plated the early SX-70 models and yeah, they feel like metal and the heft of the folding mechanism gives it a convincing weight but it’s still plastic. Interesting one.

3 Likes

I keep one in my glove box and I will eventually buy a handful to throw in the car to give away to anyone interested. I think it’s the best cheap ball bearing starter yo-yo.

3 Likes

In 2018 I put thin pads and large C bearing in my One and liked it a WHOLE lot better! It’s cool you found those yoyos in that store!

3 Likes

Very well maybe coated. As I recall a few years back some of the major manufacturers sold some plastic yoyos with a metal film type coating. It’s not an uncommon thing.

2 Likes

The same thing happened when i buy a replay. (NOT THE PRO) When i tried it, it is responsive, but i can do tricks that are slackalously impossible in any other responsive yoyos.

1 Like