Help with making bearingized counterweight

I found a rather large dice at the park a while back and I’m interested in making it into a bearingized counterweight, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do so ? If so thank you.!

1 Like

You’ll just have to drill some holes.

• Small hole all the way through for the string.

• 1/2 inch hole about half way through for the bearing.

• 15/32 (or whatever the closest bit you have is, just a little smaller than 1/2) inch hole just sliiiightly past the half inch hole to give the bearing room to rotate freely.

Then put the bearing in, find a bead a little larger than 1/4 inch to hold it in place with the string and you’re all set.

(And I don’t know how old you are, but don’t use any power tools without adult permission/supervision)

6 Likes

Is that for using an A-sized bearing?

1 Like

1/2” is for a size C. Size A would require metric drill bits.

Edit:
For reference, size A has a 10mm diameter, and a 5mm diameter hole. So your largest drill bit would need to be 10mm.

3 Likes

Definitely old enough to use powertools

1 Like

So first I’d drill the whole all the way through for the string correct ? Then the half inch whole ?

1 Like

Sorry, I just need to understand the step by step process.

Yeah, I would do the small through hole first, that will help center the larger holes.

1 Like

Just looked at a ruler, which I should have done first before even asking haha. Yeah 1/2" hole an A-bearing would be swimming in it :rofl: :upside_down_face:

Before noon is a struggle some days…

1 Like

Does anyone have a diagram of a counterweight made using this method.

Like how does the string fit to the bearing ?

As I mentioned - Find a bead a little larger than the inner race of the bearing and attach it to the end of the string. That will hold everything in place while allowing the bering to spin freely.

If you’re having trouble then it may be easier to just buy one:

4 Likes

I just built one of these. If you still need help, I would love to. Just let me know

-Aidan

2 Likes

Ah sorry I had already made one

1 Like

How did it turn out?