Help spotting a fake YYR?

So here I’ve got two Overdrives. The first lighter gold(halfswapped w silver) one I know for sure to be real. This other one however, I’m not so sure. I got it from someone who’s been in the community a while and has rep. He showed these two pics when I asked about the ano flaws he mentioned.

Does it look off to anyone else? In my picture and even moreso irl it appears rose gold, which was never done on this yoyo. And the text also looks way off to me compared to my other two overdrives and any pics I can find. I can’t weigh it at the moment (altho it does seem to play heavier) but is that even necessary?

Thanks for any help

2 Likes

You have to weigh it, the Chinese copies, both in 6061 (colored silver or pink and perhaps gold) and in 7075 (raw only) weigh about 68 gr.
You can still do another check, the original bearing housing is cylindrical, as you can see in the photo, while those of the Chinese copies are conical (to facilitate disassembly of the bearing itself).

overdrive

(ps I am very convinced, however, that both the original yyr and the Chinese copies came out of the same factories and worked on the same machines, copies made only years later from the release of the originals, with different alloys and with differences in weights deliberately present to be able to distinguish … even the boxes of the copies you see that they came out of the same factory as those of the originals… coincidence?)

3 Likes

well dang lol

1 Like

Chinese copy… no doubt.
how is the bearing seat made?

here is your coloring and the other colors that were available (years ago)

1 Like

@Rosenberg
@Doohan
@fatguysnacks247
@zslane
@Grunt
@nonja121

It’s time for the avengers to assemble again. Can you guys help?

6 Likes

Bearing seat looks like my real ones actually :confused:

The scale doesn’t lie though and it 100% plays heavier

3 Likes

I’ll be home soon, check mine and attach photos …

My eyesight is very bad but this looks okay to me, although the scale doesn’t lie

2 Likes

yes, it is cylindrical …
now i don’t have them with me, i’ll be home soon and i can tell you …
either I’m getting confused with the copies of the Sleipnir or maybe they are copies produced in different periods of time and after the first ones they made this change on the following ones.
however it is a copy.

2 Likes

I apologize, I got confused … I remembered well but I made a mistake with the model … the dares apply to the copy of the Acrophobia … the Overdrive is cylindrical both in the original and in the copies

(sorry for the quality)

1 Like

How much of an issue are counterfeit Overdrive Draups?
I have a green/black headed my way.

1 Like

The only copy models developed in China of the YYR were Sleipnir (in 6061 from 63 and 68 gr.) Overdrive (in 6061 and 7075 both from about 68 gr.), Acrophobia (6061 from 68.5 gr.) and the Messhia (6061 from 69.5 gr.)
This happened 3-4 years ago.
No other models have ever been copied.

P.S. Your OverdriveDraupnir is still made in China … but it’s not a copy! :smile: :wink:

4 Likes

i’m not an expert, but just happen to learn a lot, particularly about weights and text inconsistencies. the bold face in yoyo of yoyorecreation and Overdrive are missing. but the big standout, is the poor alignment of the text with the curvature of the hub, they are not along the same radius, therefore the spacing aligns inconsistently.

3 Likes

I believe there are small amount of Red Stargazer are counterfeit.
Also Dazzler, but the rim is clearly different from the legit one.

1 Like

I wouldn’t judge fakes on bad text or ano flaws. Yoyorec used to sell a ton of mystery boxes with b grades that weren’t marked and they had these same inconsistencies.

4 Likes

Unfortunately seller rep doesn’t give much assurance that it’s real IMO since they might be unaware if they have a fake or not if they bought it second hand. Does the seller have a receipt from either YYR or a reputable vendor that would validate its authenticity, or can they provide who they received it from?

Sadly, I’d probably only buy a YYR off the BST if the person selling it to me had rock solid rep, was the original owner, and could send me a receipt from the vendor who sold it to them. That way if I chose to sell or trade I could show the chain of ownership and trace the piece directly to a vendor.

2 Likes

Hi! Fortunately, I have gold YYR Overdrive 2 that we can use as comparison…

Btw, I don’t want to judge it as fake or original here, as there were many inconsistencies between A-grade and B-grade yyr. But I will try to note some alarming sign for a fake one.

1. The weight is too heavy when we compare it to the original and the spec info from legit store.

2. The gold color seems different than the original. The gold is darker than my overdrive.

3. The laser engraving is slightly different than my overdrive and pic from legit store. You can see the letter “a” in original/store pic has a “tail” in the end, but from your photo, it’s pointed downward. Btw, there were lots of laser engraving variations on b-grade. But we can use it as alarming sign

Based on those alarming signs, we can see that there are differences with the original. But above all, the weight and the color are what worry me more about the originality…

4 Likes

My god yours is in such pristine condition :joy::open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yup. It’s mint and i try to keep it like that :grin:

Recently I rarely use my YYRs tho, i prefer to use organics more lol

3 Likes

My raw one is mint and I’m keeping it that way. I wish the gold side of my gold/silver halfswap was as pristine as yours though, lol.

1 Like