Help for beginning friend

So my friend wants to start yo-yoing and his budget is limited. His max is $20 shipped. Any recommendations?
-Do you know how to bind the yoyo? (If you don’t know what bind means then you don’t know how)
Yes
-Do you have a yoyo that you own or played with that you have liked very much? Describe every detail. Eg. what kind of friction stickers you are using, cleaned bearing or not, and so on.
C-sized bearing with silicon response pads
-Do you have a preferred shape of the yoyo? Answer it by saying like the shape similar to this or that yoyo.
Any wide butterfly for beginners is fine
-Do you have a preferred weight or weight distribution? Answer it saying similar to this or that yoyo.
Heavy rims for long spin time and stability.
-Do you have a price range?
Max is around $20 shipped (preferably less)
-Do you have a certain amount of yoyos narrowed down? List them.
We’ve been looking at the C3 Speedaholic, YYJ Classic, YYF Whip and One, but we’re open to anything if you think it’s better.
-Do you prefer a certain brand?
Not really.
-Are you looking for a yoyo that specializes a style? Like looping, off string, freehand, etc.
Just 1a is fine
-Do you prefer a certain response syetem?
Silicone
-Do you want hubsstacks or z stacks?
Doesn’t matter
-What trick are you currently working on?
He just learned binding
-Do you want a yoyo to Thumb grind or arm grind well?
Doesn’t matter

For a beginner, I would either choose the YYF Whip or the YYF One~ Both are very good starter choices since they can gradually improve his skill tremendously up to the point where he is ready to move onto the more “serious” stuff.

I, myself, own a YYF Velocity;however, Although it has the option for change-o-matic dials for both responsive and unresponsive styles, I would not look into one. I say this because many capabilities are loss for the Velocity, encountering more advanced tricks along the way. It will not handle well. <Just to throw this out there.

Anyways, Good Luck with your perfect match! :slight_smile:

I would have to recommend the YYF OneStar over the One if he already knows how to bind. Also, I’ve heard great things about the Speedaholic and I’ve tried one before that was fantastic although the one that I purchased is horribly responsive no matter how hard I try, so there is some inconsistency there

Ooops~! I forgot to mention the OneStar :o .Yes it is a greater buy if you would consider it.

The C3yoyodesign Speedaholic is probably the BEST cheap plastic on the market today. I’m not even kidding.

I own both the speedaholic and onestar and i prefer by far the onestar. I find the onestar way more stable and smooth.

Either the OneStar or the Classic for sure. The Classic is and feels AMAZINGGGG and although I have not played with a OneStar, it can seem to handle close to anything, as shown in this video, so I’d say a classic or a onestar. I’d also recommend not getting a velocity. Cheers!

Classic is a great shout if your friend doesn’t mind a little bit of modding.

Also, whats with all the velocity hate? I like the velocity. :-\

The Velocity is alright, but I think the Speedaholic is far better for the price. :slight_smile:

The speedaholic to me is very center/even weighted. Compared to the onestar or classic, which has a lot more rim focused weighting, leading to what I believe are longer spin times, increased stability and higher performance. Don’t get me wrong, I like my speedaholic as much as the next guy, but I just feel that the onestar/classic is the best low cost plastic at the moment.

After playing the Velocity a year since I first began (the velocity was my very first yoyo), I can say that the Classic is MUCHHHH better that the velocity in every way, shape and form. Now that I actuslly know how to yoyo (within reason lol), I think that the velocity is far too light.

My idea for him would be a speed dial. You can buy them on here new for about 20, but that’s with out shipping. (you might shoot yye an email, might work with you, but i do not speak for them nor do i want to spread false rumors about them selling stuff cheaper then what is listen)
Speed dial can be used for responsive and unresponsive play. little wierd to get use to, but is nice. I can do most of the ticks on here with it.
bad parts, it’s a little light so it’s hard to get REALLY long spins and the bearing is a bit unusual size. Check out some magic yoyos on amazon too (I got a t8 metal shipped for about 14, and the n9 for about 20 shipped) and those are nice, but there a down sides to each that could be deal breakers for people. (T8 gap is stupid tiny, and the n9 is loud, and is so heavy i’ve had scars from it hitting me in the head.)
Best bet would look on the bst, but I have a proto for sale if it’s going to a beginner. :slight_smile:

Although the speed dial is a great idea, the Velocity I think has too many flaws. Especially it being too light.

the velositiy or speed dial too light?

I have one and it is pretty light. I’ve compared it to my friend’s YYR Diffusion and the Diffusion was slightly heavier.

I do not know how heavy or light the speed dial is~ :frowning:

Lol… The whole yoyo itself is too light, making it, in my opinion, not a good choice for beginners. Doesn’t spin that long, and because it’s so light, learning to throw it might be a LITTLE harder? Maybe? Not sure on that, but I’d assume it’d be a litter harder. Get a Classic. Never tried a Diffusion or a Speedaholic, but I have heard great things about both of them for alot of people.

It’s way lighter than they should have made it. XP been the perfect throw if it was just a little heavier

I’d agree with you that it being light would be a a little tough but the fact he could go from responsive to unresponsive with out taking the yoyo apart is super nice, and it’s not TOO Llight, just eh. Could be heavier. If you adjust it right, it has a modest spin time. Haven’t tried a classic but I’ve heard good things. There’s always pocket change tol

It’s not too light. The problem is all the weight is based around the center with the adjustment knobs. If you could move that weight to the outer rim it would be great. This is not the case and it’s better to buy level yoyo that allows for a thicker bearing change when you are ready for unresponsive play.